"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Head Chef

Question regarding homemade chicken broth.

I've made homemade chix broth. Usually using the carcass from a chicken that was previously roasted. I have read many times how some people use chicken parts. To try something different - I bought a whole chicken already cut up into parts.

If I make chicken broth out of it - do I or can I still use the chicken? I've read some people say since your cooking the heck out of the chicken the flavor is in the broth and the chicken itself is no good to you.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You can simmer the cut up chicken in water for about 45 minutes to cook the meat through then take the meat off the bones and return the bones to the pot and continue simmering for 3-4 hours. Strain and reduce the broth. Use or freeze for later use.

If you leave the meat in the pot for the whole 3-4 hours, it will be pretty tasteless as the flavor is now in the broth.

In the future, use a combination of roasted carcasses and raw parts. For raw parts, check at the market for the cheapest bits, not whole chickens. If you could buy a bagful of chicken necks and backs, that would be ideal.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can simmer the cut up chicken in water for about 45 minutes to cook the meat through then take the meat off the bones and return the bones to the pot and continue simmering for 3-4 hours. Strain and reduce the broth. Use or freeze for later use.

If you leave the meat in the pot for the whole 3-4 hours, it will be pretty tasteless as the flavor is now in the broth.

In the future, use a combination of roasted carcasses and raw parts. For raw parts, check at the market for the cheapest bits, not whole chickens. If you could buy a bagful of chicken necks and backs, that would be ideal.
Ahhhhh. I was also thinking of taking some parts and not even cook them and others use for the broth. Since it is a whole chicken. Well at least I'm learning.

Funny I was talking to a friend earlier and I said I'm pretty sure if you make broth and cook and simmer the chicken for many hours - it is no good since it will be blah. She kept on saying that she has spent many hours cooking chicken before and usually it's very tender and juicy and how she remembers loving it that way.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Half Baked

When I was making stock regularly I would take my empty milk cartons and keep them in the freezer.
Whenever I had a carcass or bones they would go in there.I also saved all my onion, carrot, celery trimmings and threw them in there.When I would fill three half gallons it was time to make stock or demi.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
When I was making stock regularly I would take my empty milk cartons and keep them in the freezer.
Whenever I had a carcass or bones they would go in there.I also saved all my onion, carrot, celery trimmings and threw them in there.When I would fill three half gallons it was time to make stock or demi.
I'm having a hard time picturing this. All my milk cartons have small holes on the top where the cap is. Although I guess you could squeeze some stuff through the hole.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I'm having a hard time picturing this. All my milk cartons have small holes on the top where the cap is. Although I guess you could squeeze some stuff through the hole.
I use plastic bags, the cheap ones for bones and scraps of veggies. It's just something to store the small amounts of bones and parts until you have enough to make a batch of stock.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Half Baked

Quote:
I open them up!(undo the folds)
re close or refold until full.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
You're thinking of plastic milk jugs, legend. He's talking about cardboard milk cartons. No wonder you're confused.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Head Chef

I use a clear plastic container like ziploc or glad storage containers
i also add skin, fat, and bones that i trim of chicken and when it fill up I make a pot of broth. Adding celery,carrots, onions, salt pepper.
I don't add any other seasonings as I don't want to over power the stock due to it depends what i will end up using it for. I store in 2 cup containers in the freezer.

Forgot also I do this with beef bones and fat/trimmings and when i see that they have a sale on beef bones in the store I stock up.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

I regularly get stewing hens from our local grocery store when they are on sale for next to nothing. It isn't so much about the price, but they make the best broth as I don't worry about the meat, just leave it in and let all the flavour come out of bone and meat into the broth. I add a mire poix (chopped onion, celery & carrot all about the same size), pepper and a bouquet garni (or just some dried thyme, peppercorns, bay leaf) but no salt until I use the broth as the salt will intensify as the broth reduces.

I freeze it in different sized Ziplock freezer bags and also in ice cubes for when I just need a little broth in a recipe. I keep some on hand all the time.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None