Quick & Easy Gazpacho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
QUICK & EASY GAZPACHO
Simple version:

Tomato juice (or V-8)
Chunky salsa

Get fancy:

Chunks of avocado
Peeled cooked shrimp (add just before serving or they will cook in the gazpacho (like ceviche) and be tough.

Spice it up:

Celery seed
Worcestershire or soy sauce
Lemon or lime juice
Cayenne
Hot sauce
Horseradish

You can make this by the bowl or for a crowd. It took me less than 10 minutes to make this with the avocado and shrimp, and most of that time was preparing the avocado.

Serve as an appetizer or even the main course.

I thought about how much it's like a bloody mary, but vodka tastes so nasty, I'd have it on the side.:ohmy::LOL:

Thanks Zhizara!
I was just talking with my fiancée yesterday about Gazpacho. The dialogue was simple: I was the horrible ignorant, knowing nothing about this Gazpacho thing, while she tried patiently to make me understand the magic of this recipe. :ohmy:

I think I'll try to prepare your simple version as a surprise to her: "Look at this! I perfectly understood everything you said about how to prepare Gazpacho, my love..." :angel:

Thanks Zhizara!
I was just talking with my fiancée yesterday about Gazpacho. The dialogue was simple: I was the horrible ignorant, knowing nothing about this Gazpacho thing, while she tried patiently to make me understand the magic of this recipe. :ohmy:

I think I'll try to prepare your simple version as a surprise to her: "Look at this! I perfectly understood everything you said about how to prepare Gazpacho, my love..." :angel:

I'd love to hear about her reaction.

The simple version is great, but with the shrimp and avocado it's WOW!

Classic Spanish Andalucian Gazpacho

Gazpacho, is a traditional Spanish Andalusian cold soup which was invented in Málaga, Andalusia in the mid 1500s after the Conquerors had brought tomatoes from the Americas.

*** See Photo below in next post

Here is the traditional version ( there are uncountable modern versions ):

75 grams of day old baguette
30 ml. Sherry Jeréz Vinegar from Andalucia
2 garlic cloves minced
3/4 peeled and de-seeded cucumber diced finely
1 small sweet onion minced finely
1/2 bell red pepper diced finely and de-seeded and if you wish peeled
1/2 bell green pepper diced finely & de-seeded and if you wish peeled
1.75 kilos of Juicy, very ripe tomatoes de-seeded and skinless ( blanch )and then put on ice cubes
125 ml. Extra Virgin Spanish Olive Oil 100% Arbequina or 100% Hojiblanca Olive Oil - Mono Varietal

In a food processor, add the bread, the Dry Fino Jeréz Sherry Vinegar, the garlic, the cucumber, the onion, the bell peppers, the tomatoes chopped finely, salt to taste & black pepper ... Pulse gradually until you obtain a thick ( not tomato juice ) yet drinkable consistency.

Then, add the Olive Oil extremely gradually and blend to combine all the flavors. Refrigerate until chilled.

This cold tomato soup can be served the classic Spanish way; in a bowl with croutons, minced cucumber, minced bell pep pieces & chopped finely onion.

The modern Gazpacho which is served at Tapas Bars throughout Madrid and Andalucia, is served in an extra large Martini Glass, with a stalk of celery and croutons ...

Your cold soup appears to be quite a vanguard modern fusion ...

Have a lovely summer vacation,
Margi.

Last edited:
I'm with Margi.

Gazpacho needs to have some crisp fresh cucumbers and bell peppers and sherry vinegar. And bread of course.

Plus a small hit of a tasty olive oil.

Last edited:
I'm with Margi.

Gazpacho needs to have some crisp fresh cucumbers and bell peppers and sherry vinegar. And bread of course.

Plus a small hit of a tasty olive oil.

Like I said in the recipe, cooking for one, it's impractical for me to buy one of each of the ingredients. It would make way too much. This recipe is for quick and easy.

The salsa I use is chunky, with crisp, crunchy veggies right in it, and I can make a bowl at a time if I like.

Like I said in the recipe, cooking for one, it's impractical for me to buy one of each of the ingredients. It would make way too much. This recipe is for quick and easy.

The salsa I use is chunky, with crisp, crunchy veggies right in it, and I can make a bowl at a time if I like.

IMO, gazpacho is defined by freshness and specifically fresh cucumbers and peppers. The cucumber note is a signature element of gazpacho.

I make it for myself all the time with a single cuke, single pepper and appropriate amount of tomatoes from the garden.

Gazpacho is also defined by its use of bread and vinegar.

Your recipe, especially with the add ins sounds more like Bloody Mary mix. But it does sound yummy and my wheels are turning about using it as a marinade or dressing.

Last edited:
My first taste of cold tomato soup was in a restaurant in the walls of Cordoba, it was 23.00hrs and 29c.
Salmorejo the classic Andalucian cold soup.
Soak very good quality slightly stale bread chunks in water for a few hours.
The toms are the key, get the sweetest you can, scoop the seeds out into a sieve, rub with the back of a spoon, save the juice.
Crush garlic.
Put the garlic, tom flesh, juice, into a liquidiser and blend till smooth, squeeze as much water out of the bread as you can and add and blend. The with the liquidiser running add as much evoo as you like to get a thick soup,add sherry vinegar and salt to taste, chill.
Garnish with hard boiled egg bits and crisp fried Serrano ham.

Ps you should skin the toms, I dont.

Bolas: Traditional Cordóba Salmorejo y Gazpacho

Buon Giorno, Good Morning Bolas,

Traditional Cordóbes and traditional Málagueño Gazpacho are quite different.

Gazpacho is prepared with cucumber, bell peppers, garlic, onion, day old bread croutons, fresh tomatoes ( see recipe and photo ) and can be served in bowl or in large Martini Type Stemware.

Salmorejo is much much thicker, much lighter red, more of a orange red in color than tomato red red Gazpacho and is prepared with day old bread, tomatoes, Evoo, Sherry Vinegar Jérez, and is garnished with Jabugo Black Foot Acorn Fed Ham Strips or Hard boiled Eggs or both garnishes.

Both are delicious, however, different.

I personally prefer Gazpacho as it is much lighter and refreshing.

Salmorejo hails from the Shepherds, who took their flocks to Málaga and brought back their own take on the recipe,which originated in Málaga during a heat wave and was prepared since ... to refresh ...

Have a wonderful August.
From Puglia,
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Margi, since my first visit to Spain in 71 I have spent a lot of time there working and playing so I do understand the regional difference between the two cold soups.Its very much like the difference between the naturally blond women from the coastal regions(some blame the vikings) and those who have black roots.

Last edited:
Bolas: What a Comparison !

I have never doubted that you have known the difference between Gazpacho & Salmorejo ...

And you have told me that you had spent alot of time in Barcelona and Andalusia many years ago ...

I have lived in Madrid Capital since 1996 and in Europe since 1992. My husband is Italian, and he only has a Green Card which he renews every 10 years ... He has never had a USA Passport.

I also hold a EU Passport, as I have dual citizenship.

We have seen numerous changes in the last 10 years particularly in Madrid and Bilbao, San Sebastian, and The Coast.

Since we rent our Loft in Madrid, due to fact that my husband works in several countries, being a Vet & Medical Investigator in Bovine Medicine.

We plan on moving over to Italia permanently in near future. All my journalism can be done, via Email and Post, and we own our Condo, so why pay a rent --- we could use this money to travel and buy another apartment in Alicant or Valencia or Mallorca ... I love the Sea ...

Have lovely August. Hope you are totally recovered and all going well.
Margaux.

I bet a drizzle of sherry vinegar and good EVOO as finishers would be good, too, and provide some of that Spanish flavor.

Back
Top Bottom