"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef

My first taste of cold tomato soup was in a restaurant in the walls of Cordoba, it was 23.00hrs and 29c.
Salmorejo the classic Andalucian cold soup.
Soak very good quality slightly stale bread chunks in water for a few hours.
The toms are the key, get the sweetest you can, scoop the seeds out into a sieve, rub with the back of a spoon, save the juice.
Crush garlic.
Put the garlic, tom flesh, juice, into a liquidiser and blend till smooth, squeeze as much water out of the bread as you can and add and blend. The with the liquidiser running add as much evoo as you like to get a thick soup,add sherry vinegar and salt to taste, chill.
Garnish with hard boiled egg bits and crisp fried Serrano ham.

Ps you should skin the toms, I dont.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Bolas: Traditional Cordóba Salmorejo y Gazpacho

Buon Giorno, Good Morning Bolas,

Traditional Cordóbes and traditional Málagueńo Gazpacho are quite different.

Gazpacho is prepared with cucumber, bell peppers, garlic, onion, day old bread croutons, fresh tomatoes ( see recipe and photo ) and can be served in bowl or in large Martini Type Stemware.

Salmorejo is much much thicker, much lighter red, more of a orange red in color than tomato red red Gazpacho and is prepared with day old bread, tomatoes, Evoo, Sherry Vinegar Jérez, and is garnished with Jabugo Black Foot Acorn Fed Ham Strips or Hard boiled Eggs or both garnishes.

Both are delicious, however, different.

I personally prefer Gazpacho as it is much lighter and refreshing.

Salmorejo hails from the Shepherds, who took their flocks to Málaga and brought back their own take on the recipe,which originated in Málaga during a heat wave and was prepared since ... to refresh ...

Have a wonderful August.
From Puglia,
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Margi, since my first visit to Spain in 71 I have spent a lot of time there working and playing so I do understand the regional difference between the two cold soups.Its very much like the difference between the naturally blond women from the coastal regions(some blame the vikings) and those who have black roots.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Bolas: What a Comparison !

I have never doubted that you have known the difference between Gazpacho & Salmorejo ...

And you have told me that you had spent alot of time in Barcelona and Andalusia many years ago ...

I have lived in Madrid Capital since 1996 and in Europe since 1992. My husband is Italian, and he only has a Green Card which he renews every 10 years ... He has never had a USA Passport.

I also hold a EU Passport, as I have dual citizenship.

We have seen numerous changes in the last 10 years particularly in Madrid and Bilbao, San Sebastian, and The Coast.

Since we rent our Loft in Madrid, due to fact that my husband works in several countries, being a Vet & Medical Investigator in Bovine Medicine.

We plan on moving over to Italia permanently in near future. All my journalism can be done, via Email and Post, and we own our Condo, so why pay a rent --- we could use this money to travel and buy another apartment in Alicant or Valencia or Mallorca ... I love the Sea ...

Have lovely August. Hope you are totally recovered and all going well.
Margaux.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Like I said in the recipe, cooking for one, it's impractical for me to buy one of each of the ingredients. It would make way too much. This recipe is for quick and easy.

The salsa I use is chunky, with crisp, crunchy veggies right in it, and I can make a bowl at a time if I like.
I bet a drizzle of sherry vinegar and good EVOO as finishers would be good, too, and provide some of that Spanish flavor.

Tags
avocado, easy, recipe, salsa, shrimp, tomatoes

Quick & Easy Gazpacho [CENTER][CENTER][B]QUICK & EASY GAZPACHO[/B][/CENTER][/CENTER] [CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER][/CENTER] [B]Simple version:[/B] [B]Tomato juice (or V-8) [/B] [B]Chunky salsa[/B] [B]Get fancy:[/B] [B]Chunks of avocado[/B] [B]Peeled cooked shrimp (add just before serving or they will cook in the gazpacho (like ceviche) and be tough.[/B] [B]Spice it up:[/B] [B]Celery seed[/B] [B]Worcestershire or soy sauce[/B] [B]Lemon or lime juice[/B] [B]Cayenne[/B] [B]Hot sauce[/B] [B]Horseradish[/B] [B]You can make this by the bowl or for a crowd. It took me less than 10 minutes to make this with the avocado and shrimp, and most of that time was preparing the avocado.[/B] [B]Serve as an appetizer or even the main course.[/B] 3 stars 1 reviews