Quick Easy Chicken soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marygio

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a quick easy recipe for Chicken Soup. My 6 year old is home with an earache and he likes chicken soup. Any recipe would help!
Thank you!

- marygio-

Marygio,
If in a hurry, I just use canned chicken broth, add some frozen veggies that the kids like, carrots,peas, zucchini, then in a seperate pot i cook some small pasta, when done I drain and add to soup. Season a little and the kids love it this way. Left over rice is nice to add instead of pasta..Hope this helps a little and your little guy feels better soon.

kadesma:)

marygio said:
Thank you! I think I'll try that!

- marygio-
You're welcome Mary,
It's nothing fancy, but it's warm and soothing to the little guys:)
kadesma

I make "quickie" chicken soup all the time. Since I always have individually frozen boneless skinless chicken breast pieces in the freezer, I take one of those & cook/poach it in a saucepan of some Swanson's chicken broth. When the chicken is cooked, I take it out to cool & cook whatever veggies I want in the broth (frozen peas & carrots, spinach, diced fresh zucchini - whatever). Then shred up the chicken breast & add it back to the broth along with whatever small pasta I might want to use. Simmer the extra couple of minutes it takes the tiny pasta to cook & then serve.

Fast & delicious.

It takes 1 hour to make any chicken soup from scratch. I do not use cans/jars/pacages. Nothing like home made chicken soup.

Um, CharlieD - the point/query of this post was how to make a decent FAST/QUICK chicken soup for a sick child - not how to make a chicken soup from scratch.

Good grief.

You have to way the advantages of fresh soup versus canned stuf. In the time, that soup is cooking kid can have some tea, or warm milk with some honey.

While it may be best to make some stock and cut up and cook vegetables and pasta or rice in it. That's not always the best solution.

I see nothing wrong with making soup with canned (or boxed broth) and fresh or frozen vegetables in the interests of time or the availability of raw materials.

Both options have their place.

Thanks for letting us know Marygio,
While starting from scrath usually results in a better product, canned or boxed chicken stock and frozen veggies can be a life saver for a mom with a little one in pain or ill. Mine love from scratch, but when they are sick and want hot soup, they don't want to wait very long. Hope your little guy is feeling better.

When I was a child, I always got Cambell's Chicken Noodle, and loved it, as did my kids and my grandkids. Certainly, nothing is faster.
Now-a-days, there's a better one...Healthy Choice makes an excellent low fat, lower sodium chicken noodle. It has carrots and celery in it, and tastes like a blander version of my homemade.

Charlie, my chicken soup takes a lot longer than one hour to make. Just making the broth takes all morning.

I agree with the Campbells soup. I did not have any on my shelf and I just know that you can't get anything better than chicken soup to make you feel better.

When I was a kid, even a sick one, found chicken soup boring.

But make it egg drop and that was a different story all together.

Could make it with some mushrooms, or small pasta, or veggies (frozen was fine).

And add some julienned carrots or some juliened chicken and that was good eating.

Or just toss in any veggies you might want, frozen, fresh, or not.

OK, we, my sister and I, were strange kids and would make such concoctions ourselves. But not when we were sick.

Then Mom, God bless her soul, a great lady, would try to make us eat stuff like tea and toast.

Whoever taught anyone that a sick kid needs tea and toast I have no idea. But I suspect they were the remote spawn of the crone who tried to roast Hansel and Gretel into the oven. When we were sick we wanted to eat or drink nothing.

And when we felt better we wanted real grub.

And just regular chicken soup was kinda sorta blah. But make it egg drop, and we loved it.

Sorry, I know this is very peripheral to the main topic.

But just remembered what it felt like to be sick as a kid.

Will overwhelmingly vote for the canned or boxed stock (it ain't half bad) and tossing in some pasta (the little guys) and some frozen veggies is just fine with me.

You folks are the experts in what your children like and do not.

And maybe there are a few kids out there who actually adore, crave, and will feign illness just to get force fed tea and toast.

If so I don't want to know them.

LOL and I hope the child feels better soon.

Aunt Dot,
you're right on about soups, teas, toast..I think the main thing here is it sooths us the moms to feed kids or anyone who is ill, it's part of I love you. It makes us feel that we did something..We can say here is how I do it, but, must take into consideration each child..and his likes and dislikes. My grandson Ethans eye grow very large and his face turns white if he see's an egg, but loves rice and pasta and any veggie or fruit. So my chicken soup for him would be filled with veggies and either pasta or rice and diced chicken..Cade on the other hand won't touch any soup except Wor Won Ton soup and it has to come form a place where he loves to go for chinese food, so he wants toast and 7-up that has gone flat, but not just any old toast, it has to be lightly buttered with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon..Carson and Olivia, just want milk nothing more..And not a one of them will touch tea! So we offer a recipe to lend a hand, and then the person who requested the help adapts it to his child.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom