Rec- Corn & Sausage Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
My mom made this Sunday night for supper & it was really good!

1lb. sausage
1 chopped onion
1/2tsp. pepper
2C. water
3 large potatoes, cut into chunks
2tsp. salt
1tsp. basil
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernal corn
1(12oz)can evaporated milk

In Dutch oven, brown sausage & drain reserving 2Tbsp grease. Sautee onion & sausage in reserved grease until onion is tender. Add next 5 ingredients. Cover & cook until potatoes are done. Stir in corn & milk & heat to almost boiling. Serves 6-8.

Crewsk, this sounds very good. What kind of sausage did you use? I can imagine this recipe with breadfast sausage, or a good Kielbasa, or maybe some diced summer sausage.

I know some Native Americans that would die for this recipe. I would think that some hominy would fit nicely into this recipe as well. You're a Southern Girl. You know how to use hominy. But if you throw ocra into the mix, well then I'll just have to bar you from posting where we Northerners can read your recipes. (as if I had such power);)

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, I have not made it yet, my mom did. But she used a mild breakfast sausage. I want to try it with a hot breakfast sausage or ham sausage(it makes really good gravy). I agree that it would be good with the sausages you listed too. As far as hominy goes, I can't stand the stuff! I know, I know I'm a disgrace to all Southerners! :oops: I would never even think of adding okra to this recipe, IMO it wouldn't go with it well. But the mention of okra has me craving some pickled okra now! YUM!! Thanks! :LOL:

That's almost humorous, a southern girl who doesn't like okra, and a Northern Guy who likes hominy.

And thanks for the recipe. I think I'll try it with the Keilbasa first. It just seems that it would go well with the rest of the ingredients. It would be good with chunks of pork too. And I won't tell anyone you don't like hominy. I promise. ;)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LOL! Crewsk, it's a textural thing with okra. It's all slimy and too soft. Maybe it was just overcooked when I had it. And the Homniny, I didn't like it as a kid. I had it again several years ago in some Native American corn soup at my tribe's summer pow wow. The texture was much like potatoes. In fact, that's what I thought it was initially. Then I discovered that it was hominy. I've tried it a few times since then, in dishes like chili, and several soups. It has the texture of spuds, with a abcground flavor of the corn used to make corn tortillas. How could I not like that? :D

Anyway, I know all to well how othere people like to force their ideas on others. You don't do that. I don't do that. Enjoy your okra and I'll occasionally eat my hominy. And we'll both be happier for our experiences.

Oh, tell your hubby that he needs to take you out again. A good woman should be pampered (but not spoiled). I think I'll take my wife to a movie tonight.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks Goodweed, I'll tell him! Maybe my problem with hominy is that I have never had it in a soup or anything. It was always served with just a little butter & salt when I was growing up. I'd be willing to give it another go in a soup or something. I know that my tastes have changed over the last few years & I eat things now that I would have never eaten growing up. Yep, I'm with you, I don't like for people to force their ideas on me so I don't force mine on others. The diffrences in this world are what makes it such an interesting place! :D

crewsk said:
The diffrences in this world are what makes it such an interesting place! :D

Amen to this. We also would have no reason for this forum otherwise. The range of opinions, preferences, and outlooks continue to delight me every time I log on.

Back
Top Bottom