REC--Sun Dried Tomato Tortellini Soup (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I just made a pot of this soup and had a bowl for lunch--it's excellent, and quite easy, too! I didn't have all of the necessary ingredients on hand so I made a couple substitutions. I put them in parenthesis.

Sun-Dried Tomato Tortellini Soup

The dry-packed tomatoes rehydrate in this quickly made soup, eliminating the need to steep them.
clear.gif

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot
2/3 cup chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sun-dried tomato halves, packed without oil, chopped (about 3 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
3 cups fresh cheese tortellini (about 12 ounces) (I used 1 package of frozen cheese tortellini. Just increase the cooking time by a few minutes to compensate and they're just fine)
1 cup chopped bok choy (I used chopped spinach, stems removed)

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Add pasta and bok choy; simmer 7 minutes or until pasta is done. Discard bay leaf.

I just happened to oven dry all Paul's ripe tomatoes Saturday.
They are in the freezer now just waiting to be made into this soup.
It sounds so good!

pdswife said:
I just happened to oven dry all Paul's ripe tomatoes Saturday.
They are in the freezer now just waiting to be made into this soup.
It sounds so good!

Glad you like the sounds of it. It is really tasty!

How do you oven dry your tomatoes? I have a ton that I just harvested over the weekend and don't know what to do with them. That would be a nice thing to have in the freezer for over the winter!

PA Baker said:
Glad you like the sounds of it. It is really tasty!

How do you oven dry your tomatoes? I have a ton that I just harvested over the weekend and don't know what to do with them. That would be a nice thing to have in the freezer for over the winter!

I slice them and remove as many of the seeds as possible

rub olive oil on a cookie sheet and place tomatoes on top.

Brush them with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and then bake at 200 degrees until they are dry.

Very easy.

The main rule is to taste a bite ever half hour or so. Yummmmmy!:):)

Just to add:

If they're beefsteak or similar then slice them about 1/4" thick and place on a wire rack on a baking tray,drizzle with olive oil,some sea salt and a little fresh thyme and then proceed.

If they're romas then slice in half and place cut side up
and place directly on a baking tray then drizzle with olive oil,sea salt and thyme.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom