REC... Tuscan-Style Sausage White Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middie

Chef Extraordinaire
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 pound mild italian sausage, cooked and drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney), undrained
salt and ground black pepper

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic
and sautee, stirring ocassionally about 2 minutes or until onion is tender.

Stir in flour, gradually whisk in milk and broth.

Cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Add sausage and the beans. Heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Last edited:
I've been trying to think of a good Monday night supper and this is going to be it this coming Monday.

Monday is golf day, so have to come up with something to make ahead.

Thank you, Middie :)

Ooo, I lerv Tuscan-style bean soup, and this one looks so good! I especially like the creaminess with the addition of the evap milk. I'd add some more seasonings though, like either/or fennel seed and cayenne pepper, maybe a pinch of sage.

Thanks, Middie.

Cats

Middie,
I made this on Saturday and we had it for supper on Monday. A big hit! Just some crusty bread and a salad, and we ate like kings. Thanks again. :)

Definitely second the motion on sage. Sage w/ cannellini beans is great. You can also add a little tomato paste and/or hot pepper in order to give the dish a more hearty, old country, taste.

I made this soup today (actually at 5:30 a.m.) and followed the recipe with one change. I used hot Italian Sausage in place of mild because that's what I had on hand. I hope after it sits in the frig today that the flavors will blend better. I like the soup, but I could really taste the evaporated milk. I will definitely make it again, and add the sage, but I think I'll use half and half or heavy cream instead of evap. milk. I brought some with me to work so my coworkers/guinea pigs could try it. They are some brave souls! I do this to them all the time! Thanks for a great recipe! It's fast and easy!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom