Recommended chicken stock brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Better than Boullion to augment my own stock or liquid stock or for flavoring in casseroles. I would be willing to try something different if it was available to me. I get BTB at Costco :)

I try to make my own chicken broth by cooking whole chickens then shredding the meat off the bones for other uses. The bones then go back on the stove for more simmering. This gets frozen for future use too. I keep some Swanson brand in the pantry for emergencies.

I do this too, but just use a chicken thigh, or a few drumsticks. It's so easy, plus I can season and salt, or not. I don't over cook the chicken, so I can use the meat too, putting the bones back for more boiling.

Last edited:
Base is like bullion cubes in bulk form. It comes in a small jar and is kind of like dry paste that you spoon out as much as you want. You mix it with water to create your broth or stock and it often has a lot of other ingredients mixed in with it. IMO it is just the same as stock, just more economical because you mix it with water yourself.
Kind of like the difference between buying a container of orange juice or frozen concentrate and making your own. The end result is the same.

That was a great explanation pacanis!

once you get away from salt dependency, many brands will taste like salt licks to you.

i like salt free kitchen basics, progresso, and college inn (in that order) mostly because of their convenience and avalability, but homemade is always the way to go.

if you have nothing else to do. :glare:
I find that by the time I factor in the cost for the salt free ones (gas to go get it, etc.), I might as well make my own. I do it in a roaster pan overnight in the oven at 250F, drain off the juice and veggies, put it in the fridge, remove the fat, and package for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom