Recommended chicken stock brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have tried pre-made chicken broths, boullions, and soup bases, each claiming to have the best flavor. Of those I tried, College brand is one I like, though when you read the ingredients, it is not pure chicken broth, or stock. Better Than Boullion is the brand I currently use. It is a soup base and comes in chicken, turkey, ham, vegetable, and beef flavors. I find the chicken flavor is closest to home made of any I've tried. And no, I don't work for them. The beef flavor is very good too, but needs to be used carefully as it can quickly become overpowering. For beef flavoring, I prefer Washington's Deep Brown Sauce. It adds great flavor to beef gravies, sauces, and soups.

But by far, the best chicken flavor I have tasted is by boiling up a bunch of wings, and bones, to extract every bit of collagen, and nutrients from them, as well as flavor.

And if you brown the bones first, in the oven or under the broiler, it's even better.

And if you grill some bones along with boneless chicken, over charcoal of course, it's better still.

And if you raise your own free-range chickens, and let them eat bugs, worms, and native grains... Ahh, I'm just joking with the free range chickens. But it would be better.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yeah 'B Than B' is probably the best in the stores. Check this out.Food Curated » Brooklyn Bouillon: Treating Bones Like the Gold of an Animal

I used to prefer Basic Kitchen products. Then Spike picked me up a carton of Cento Chicken Stock. I contains 'Dried Sugar Cane' along with the traditional ingredients. It states on the box that it contains less salt than their Chicken Broth. Yet it is listed as one of the ingredients on the Chicken Stock container. I also keep (like PF) Better Than Bullion on hand for that quick cup of bullion to drink. Right now I am out of it and wish I had it for this stupid cold that is hanging on. It is on my grocery list. Spike will always buy what is on sale unless I specify a brand. I am not a big fan of Swanson, although Spike is.

When I am trimming meats or cook meats with the bone, I collect all the trimmings and bones and into the bag I keep in the freezer. I don't gnaw on the bones and can use them for stock. I just cut the meat off them when I cook them. I keep two bags in the freezer. One for chicken, and the other for lamb, beef, etc. Then when I am in the mood, I grab a carrot, onion and a stalk of celery and on the stove it all goes for homemade stock. Other than that, it is store bought for me until I have enough to make stock. If I want to make a veal stock, I use equal parts beef stock with chicken. Faux veal stock! Works for me! :angel:

I like the convenience of using a base rather than a box of stock when I am not using my own from the freezer.

I use Minor's base, usually. B than B is pretty good, too. I have tried Penzey's and it's too sweet.

While we're talking about ingredients, which is really part of the discussion of how well a canned stock approximates homemade, does anyone use yeast extract in their homemade? I haven't. Or is the yeast extract an attempt to emulate the flavor in homemade that comes from long roasting and so not needed in homemade? I haven't used yeast extract for anything, so I'm trying to get an idea of what it does in something like this.
Yeast extract, along with autolyzed (a fancy way of saying decomposing) yeast is a natural source of free glutamate. In a nutshell, dead yeast makes food taste better. Free glutamate seems to have the same problems as commercial MSG, though, and many people have a sensitivity to it.

Interesting side note. There are a number of wines, such as Chardonnay, that are aged on decaying yeast cells for many months. This also releases glutamate into the wine, and allegedly improves the flavor. I can't verify this myself. Try as I might, I'm still not a huge Chardonnay fan.

I like the convenience of using a base rather than a box of stock when I am not using my own from the freezer.

I use Minor's base, usually. B than B is pretty good, too. I have tried Penzey's and it's too sweet.

Ditto here. I only use the boxed stock in the winter if I am making a soup or stew. I go through more base than stock in a year. :angel:

I try to make my own chicken broth by cooking whole chickens then shredding the meat off the bones for other uses. The bones then go back on the stove for more simmering. This gets frozen for future use too. I keep some Swanson brand in the pantry for emergencies.

What is the difference between a base and a box of stock?

Base is like bullion cubes in bulk form. It comes in a small jar and is kind of like dry paste that you spoon out as much as you want. You mix it with water to create your broth or stock and it often has a lot of other ingredients mixed in with it. IMO it is just the same as stock, just more economical because you mix it with water yourself.
Kind of like the difference between buying a container of orange juice or frozen concentrate and making your own. The end result is the same.

Base is like the product Better Than Bullion. It is used in restaurants as a base for soups, stews, etc. Stock is liquid.
I have no idea what Better Than Bullion is like. Is it a powder? I have seen containers of powdered gravy in restos.

Here's a good link on BTB. It just goes to show you, there are always folks swearing by a product and always others ready to tear it down.
Decoding Labels: Better Than Bouillon | Food Renegade
The question is: Does it work for you? :)

I use it, too, although sometimes I make my own stock. I think it has a good flavor, you can make as much as you need, it keeps a long time in the fridge, and doesn't need to be defrosted. Nothing wrong with taking a little help now and then.

I have no idea what Better Than Bullion is like. Is it a powder? I have seen containers of powdered gravy in restos.

It's a thick paste that comes in a jar. The brand I prefer cones in a plastic tub.

424.jpg

11003367.jpg

Last edited:
I use it, too, although sometimes I make my own stock. I think it has a good flavor, you can make as much as you need, it keeps a long time in the fridge, and doesn't need to be defrosted. Nothing wrong with taking a little help now and then.

I'll have to check on mine. It's in the cupboard. Been there a while :angel:

Here's a good link on BTB. It just goes to show you, there are always folks swearing by a product and always others ready to tear it down.
Decoding Labels: Better Than Bouillon | Food Renegade
The question is: Does it work for you? :)
I don't even know if I could get BTB in Canada, but I won't bother looking. I get the MSG headache and I'm not supposed to eat unfermented soy products.

I've been a "label nazi" for a long time, which is why I don't buy most base/bouillon/stock products/substitutes. I have found powders and cubes at the health food store that are only made of real food, but I prefer homemade stock. I keep those powders and cubes for emergencies.

I love BTB, it is perfect for making cups of chicken or beef bullion when not feeling well.

I like Better Than Boullion to supplement soups and anything using stock or broth. Just gives it a nice richness.

once you get away from salt dependency, many brands will taste like salt licks to you.

i like salt free kitchen basics, progresso, and college inn (in that order) mostly because of their convenience and avalability, but homemade is always the way to go.

if you have nothing else to do. :glare:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom