Recommended chicken stock brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a fan of Swanson's. I did a side by side taste test vs. College Inn and SO and I both preferred Swanson's. I have also used Progresso (in a qt. box). It was OK.

I have tried pre-made chicken broths, boullions, and soup bases, each claiming to have the best flavor. Of those I tried, College brand is one I like, though when you read the ingredients, it is not pure chicken broth, or stock. Better Than Boullion is the brand I currently use. It is a soup base and comes in chicken, turkey, ham, vegetable, and beef flavors. I find the chicken flavor is closest to home made of any I've tried. And no, I don't work for them. The beef flavor is very good too, but needs to be used carefully as it can quickly become overpowering. For beef flavoring, I prefer Washington's Deep Brown Sauce. It adds great flavor to beef gravies, sauces, and soups.

But by far, the best chicken flavor I have tasted is by boiling up a bunch of wings, and bones, to extract every bit of collagen, and nutrients from them, as well as flavor.

And if you brown the bones first, in the oven or under the broiler, it's even better.

And if you grill some bones along with boneless chicken, over charcoal of course, it's better still.

And if you raise your own free-range chickens, and let them eat bugs, worms, and native grains... Ahh, I'm just joking with the free range chickens. But it would be better.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:LOL:I kind of thought this was going to happen. We all have slightly different expectations, as each of us is a little different. All of the brands listed taste good. You will just have to experiment a little, and choose what YOU like. Taste is realtive to yoru own taste buds.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like Swanson Low Sodium, Better than Boullion, and Kirkland (Costco brand) which has even lower sodium than Swanson's lo sod.

Last edited:
I usually have some organic bouillon powder from the health food store on hand. I think things have gotten better, but I just couldn't stand all the weird stuff that was in regular bouillons and stocks, so I got out of the habit of looking at them.

I won't buy anything but Swanson's. I've made it, but mine doesn't taste as good as Swanson's so I just don't bother anymore. Besides at 67 cents a can by the case at Costco, why would I ?

That's my predicament. I've tried making stock a few times, and it's a pain in the butt, and doesn't taste as good as I think it should. Could be I'm just crappy at making it. :angel:

That's my predicament. I've tried making stock a few times, and it's a pain in the butt, and doesn't taste as good as I think it should. Could be I'm just crappy at making it. :angel:

Don't worry Dan. Because others think they can make better than canned stock is just fine by me. Even if I wanted to make it, I wouldn't give up freezer space for it.

Don't worry Dan. Because others think they can make better than canned stock is just fine by me. Even if I wanted to make it, I wouldn't give up freezer space for it.
A friend of mine cans her stock...I put mine in ice cube trays and then ziplock bags.

Back
Top Bottom