Roast whole chicken & make soup later or cook while making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a fresh whole 4lb chicken I purchased, and now I'm debating.

I'd like to make some homemade gluten-free noodles and make some soup, but I'm so used to roasting my chicken in a slow cooker, I'm now debating my process.

I have no chicken broth left right now, and I was hoping to have some left after this for making stuffing.

Which process would taste/work better?

Should I roast the chicken like I normally would - 400 deg in a slow cooker, sitting on some onions & celery, with a rub I make (paprika, sea salt, thyme, basil, black pepper, rosemary), and then cut up the chicken so that portions could go in the soup, and the carcass and a bit of meat could be used to make the broth before making the soup?

OR should I simmer the chicken in a pot with the veggies, then remove the meat from chicken, returning carcass for broth, etc. :wacko:

My guess is I'm better off with the first method, but curious what your thoughts are. I often use a colander in my soup if it has bones so I can easily pull them out.

Thanks for your advice!
Ciao!

I'd definitely roast the chicken first. As you said, you can still get stock from the carcass.

I have a fresh whole 4lb chicken I purchased, and now I'm debating.

I'd like to make some homemade gluten-free noodles and make some soup, but I'm so used to roasting my chicken in a slow cooker, I'm now debating my process.

I have no chicken broth left right now, and I was hoping to have some left after this for making stuffing.

Which process would taste/work better?

Should I roast the chicken like I normally would - 400 deg in a slow cooker, sitting on some onions & celery, with a rub I make (paprika, sea salt, thyme, basil, black pepper, rosemary), and then cut up the chicken so that portions could go in the soup, and the carcass and a bit of meat could be used to make the broth before making the soup?

OR should I simmer the chicken in a pot with the veggies, then remove the meat from chicken, returning carcass for broth, etc. :wacko:

My guess is I'm better off with the first method, but curious what your thoughts are. I often use a colander in my soup if it has bones so I can easily pull them out.

Thanks for your advice!
Ciao!

I just made a pot of soup last night where I used the carcass of a chicken I roasted a couple days before. But I added some chicken legs to the soup also so that I could get some meat for the soup.

BTW, I see you are gluten free. I am also gluten free. I started a thread in Muffins and Loaves asking about recipes for quick breads but got no responses. Have you shared any gluten free recipes on this site?

Back
Top Bottom