Roasted Potato & Garlic Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Found this in one of my cookbooks:

Roasted Potato & Garlic Soup

4 medium red potatoes
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 bulb garlic
1 Tbst. olive oil

1 ( 14 1/2 ounce ) can chicken broth
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup half and half or light cream
1 recipe Homemade Croutons (see recipe below) (optional)

*Peel and cube 2 of the potatoes. Cube remaining potatoes, leaving skin on. Place peeled potatoes on one side of a 9x9x2 inch baking pan and unpeeled potatoes on the other side. Sprinkle onion and snipped rosemary evenly over all. Peel away the dry outer leaves of skin from bulb of garlic. Leave skins of cloves intact. Snip off the pointed top with scissors, leaving the bulb intact, but exposing the cloves. Place the garlic bulb, cut side up, on top of the potatoes. Drizzle olive oil over all. Bake, covered, in a 400 degree oven about 50 minutes or until garlic cloves feel soft adn potatoes are tender; cool slightly.

*Squeeze the garlic bulb to remove the paste from the cloves. In a blender container or food processor bowl, combine about half the onion, garlic paste, and peeled potatoes, and halft the chicken broth, all of the flour, and the pepper. Cover and blend or process till nearly smooth.

*Pour the pureed mixture into a medium saucepan. Stir in the unpeeled cooked potato, remaining onion and broth, and half and half. Cook and stir over medium heat till slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. If necessary, stir in additional half and half to make the soup the desired consistency. To serve, ladle into soup bowls. If desired, top each serving with Homemade Croutons and a sprig of rosemary.

Yields: 5 cups (4 side-dish servings)

Per Serving: 285 cal, 11g total fat (5g sat. fat) 23mg chol., 361 mg sodium, 40g carbo., 3g fiber, 8g pro.

Homemade Croutons

2 cups cubed sourdough bread or rye bread
2 Tbsp margarine or butter, melted
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, crushed

Spread the sourdough or rye bread cubes in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. Stir together melted margarine or butter and Italian seasoning; pour over bread cubes. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes; stir. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or till crisp and brown.

Makes 2 cups

Per 1/4 cup: 43 cal., 3g. total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg Chol., 72 mg sodium, 3g carbo., 0g fiber, 1g pro.

Obtained from The Better Homes & Gardens Annual 1996 Cookbook.

This looks wonderful! I love soup. My family hates it (weird people!) so I make it all for myself. I bet my Mom would like this one, she is always talking about the potato soup her Mom made. Think I may give this a whirl soon.

this looks really good. i think i'd add some green to it, like kale or escarole. thanks sizz

I hadn't seen this until I saw someone else looking at it. I'm definitely going to make this. Thanks a bunch - even if it was a year ago!!!

Alix said:
This looks wonderful! I love soup. My family hates it (weird people!) so I make it all for myself.
DH hates soup too, he won't buddge on that stance and it drives me mildly batty as soup is a hands down fav for me!!!

Lovely recipe SizzlininIN, the rosemary should work great with the strong garlic flavours I think, thanks for sharing this one with us :)

YUM! This looks wonderful! I have several so-so potato soup recipes, but LOVE having new suggestions to make to find the perfect one!

Back
Top Bottom