"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have learned to be careful with the hot peppers. They burn easily, but a little char is okay. I only add one to the bisque to start with. They vary so much in heat that I only add more if the first doesn't make it as hot as I like. Until I figured that out, we had liquid fire a couple of times, using the same quantity of hot peppers as had been perfect on previous occasions.
I'll be careful with the hot peppers. Chillies do not like me!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I forgot that I took photos:

Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have learned to be careful with the hot peppers. They burn easily, but a little char is okay. I only add one to the bisque to start with. They vary so much in heat that I only add more if the first doesn't make it as hot as I like. Until I figured that out, we had liquid fire a couple of times, using the same quantity of hot peppers as had been perfect on previous occasions.
The hard part about trying to follow a recipe which just states "hot peppers" is that not all hot peppers are created equal - not by a considerable margin - and not all people have the same tolerance to spicy foods. User beware is my motto. Starting slowly and adding to taste can be critical. The relative heat can be controlled further by partially or completely removing the seeds and veins in the core of the pepper before cooking.

A jalapeño that I can't take a bite out of when whole, is only mildly spicy when seeded and cored. I've had some which have no heat at all after cleaning, but still great flavor. I just had a whole jalapeño finely chopped in my scrambled eggs for breakfast, and since I removed the core before chopping, it added less heat than a dash of Tabasco. I've had spicier dishes when I added too much black pepper.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Head Chef

Great stuff Tax and I love the photos . You have reminded me of a Jamaican soup that I must make again which is similar . my favourite Chillie pepper is a scotch bonnet.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Great stuff Tax and I love the photos . You have reminded me of a Jamaican soup that I must make again which is similar . my favourite Chillie pepper is a scotch bonnet.
Scotch Bonnets are da bomb. They have a lovely fruity flavour and heat up the wazoo. If I were using Scotch bonnets in this recipe, I would probably start with 1/2 or 1/4 of a pepper.

Tags
recipe, roast

Roasted Root Vegi Bisque I just made this for lunch. I licked the ladle. I ate too much, it was that good. mixed root vegis (no beets, they overwhelm it) garlic (leave the skin on the cloves) some onion a few hot peppers, seeded Cut vegis in large chunks toss with olive oil line a couple of cookie sheets/jelly roll pans with foil put carrots, peppers, garlic and any smaller pieces on one sheet and the bigger pieces on the other sheet roast at 350F/175C for about 15-20 minutes check on the vegis and take out the smaller piece tray if it is done flip the vegis on the other tray and continue roasting another 10-20 minutes The vegis should have some very dark bits take the skins off the garlic cloves put everything in a pot and almost cover with vegi stock and/or coconut milk (and water, if needed) simmer for 10 minutes puree with immersion blender or blender (be careful of hot spattering soup) add more liquid if it is too thick season with salt 3 stars 1 reviews