Sauerkraut soup (crock-pot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
Here is a great tasting soup recipe my gramma Hoch used to make. enjoy. :yum:

CROCK-POT SAUERKRAUT SOUP

1 Lb. (approx) Beef (trimmed chuck, rump, round, or 1-2 Lb. Beef Shank)
6 -8 slices Bacon, cut-up
6 cups Water
2 medium Onions, chopped
1 Leek / or / 2 Green Onions, sliced
2 cloves Garlic, cut in half
2 Carrots, sliced
3 stalks Celery, sliced
1 Lb. Sauerkraut, rinsed & drained
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 Tblsp. Bouquet Garni, (mixture of thyme, rosemary, parsley & other herbs)
4 Hot Dogs, thickly sliced
1 tsp. Dill, fresh or dry
Sour Cream

Place Beef, Bacon, Water, Onioins, Leek, Garlic, Carrots, Celery, Sauerkraut, Salt&Pepper & herbs in Crock-Pot.
COVER AND COOK ON LOW FOR 8 - 10 HOURS
Add Hot Dogs during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Serve Soup, Sprinkle w/Dill and a dallop of Sour Cream.

Last edited:
chef maloney, i haven't stopped thinking about your gramma hoch's cabbage rolls ever since you posted her recipe. and now, sauerkraut soup, yum, my kind of food! both of these recipes are more work than i usually invest in making dinner. but i plan to try one or both of them this month before thanksgiving. do you have a whole collection of recipe's from gramma hoch? if so, i hope to be seeing more of her dishes posted on dc. this might be a good time for me to finally invest in another crock pot, too.... :)

chef maloney, i haven't stopped thinking about your gramma hoch's cabbage rolls ever since you posted her recipe. and now, sauerkraut soup, yum, my kind of food! both of these recipes are more work than i usually invest in making dinner. but i plan to try one or both of them this month before thanksgiving. do you have a whole collection of recipe's from gramma hoch? if so, i hope to be seeing more of her dishes posted on dc. this might be a good time for me to finally invest in another crock pot, too.... :)

Hi, my gramma lived to be 91 years until she passed in 1994. I do have a few more of her recipes. I will look for them, I have the ones I make most often memorized. By the way, I have 3 crock-pots. 4 qt round, 5 qt oval and a 7 qt.oval. All with removable ceramic and the 7 qt. is a digital kitchen aid which I just love. Sometimes I'm using 2 of them at a time, like around the holidays. I hope you try both recipes they are both very good. XOxo maLoney

Back
Top Bottom