Sausage Lentil Soup (like Carrabba's)
* 1 pound hot Italian sausage
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 stalk celery, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
* 1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils, rinsed
* 1 cup shredded carrot
* 8 cups water
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
* 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
I added a package of frozen chopped (or fresh) spinach.
1. Place sausage in a large pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
Add onion, celery and chopped garlic, and saute until tender and translucent.
Stir in lentils, carrot, water, chicken broth and tomatoes.
Season with garlic powder, parsley, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
Cover, and simmer for about 1 hour, or until lentils are tender.
The soup will be a "stoup", to use an aggravating tv chef's language. Thick and hearty, with a touch of zing.
Excellent with a hunka hunka chunka bread! Even with just the 2 of us here, there are never any leftovers to freeze.