Savory Sweet Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
What! sweet potato soup! Are you out of your mind?

Created this one just tonight. It came out great.

Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled (about the size of a large baking potato)
1 cup water
1/2 yellow onion, peeled
1 tbs. salted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 dashes ground cumin
3 dashes ground coriander
1/4 tsp. allspice

Dice the sweet potato and place in a 3 quart sauce pan with the water. Bring to a boil and turn down heat to simmer. Cover. Slice the onion in half, and then each half into quarters. Add to the pot. Ad the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato and onion slices are tender. Pout the soup into a tall, slender container, large eonugh to hold the soup and then some. Blend with a stick blender until creamy smooth. Return to the pan and taste it. Add more seasonings to taste.

This stuff came out similar to a curried winter squash soup, but with more emphasis on the cummin and coriander. It didn't taste like sweet potatoes at all, not that there is anything wrong with sweet spuds.:) It was warm, creamy smooth, and very satisfying, even without a meat course. I'll be making this soup again.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This potato soup goes very well with roti, paratha or puri.

We call this aloor tokari in Bengali & alooke sabji in Hindi.

thanks, I copied, saved and printed this one! I am especially fond of a cumin, coriander combo.

try saying that three times fast....cumin, coriander combo....

Wow, that sounds amazing and comforting. Thanks for sharing!
Have you made pumpkin soup?

Yep; I've tried making pumpkin and squash soups. Unfortunately, they didn't come out as good as this soup did. I'm not sure what I did wrong with those. If you have recipes to share, please post them. I love pumpkin and squash.

I have made various baked pumpkin and baked squash recipes that did come out very good. Can't figure out why I've not been successful with the soups.

Lentil soup, made with the same spices is very good as well. They are also great in bean soups.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've made pumpkin soup before but not sweet potato. I'm going to save this one for the fall. Sounds like a great cool fall meal.

Is this the yellow or orange variety of sweet potato? In Canada there is some confusion with the names, as we call the orange ones yams.

I am wondering what your sweet potatos taste like...we have Kumara here in New Zealand, a native ' sweet potato' and they are wonderful. Also come in 3 different colours!

Pumpkin soup is one of my favourites made this way. I never measure anything BTW.

First taste your pumpkin to make sure it is full of flavour and has a dryish rather than wet flesh by microwaving a piece and tasting. Your soup is only gonna be as good as your pumpkin after all! It is a sad fact that ( as an example) one Buttercup pumpkin can be very different to the next.

Fry some chopped onion in an oil/butter mix until soft but not coloured. Add curry powder (along with some finely chopped garlic if you like) to taste and stir over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add peeled, chopped raw pumpkin or preroasted and peeled pumpkin. Stir over med heat for a few minutes then cover with vege or chicken stock to come up to the depth of your little finger as it rests on top of the pumpkin pieces. Simmer until raw pumpkin is very tender or at least 10 minutes for the pre roasted. Puree with stick blender or in food processor in batches if necessary. Return to pan and add coconut cream/milk to taste. Reheat but do not boil. Serve with a swirl of the coconut cream/milk on top and some chopped coriander/cilantro. I serve with buttered naan or paratha bread.

Just delicious and now I am not so sad autumn is upon us! :chef:

My wife loves sweet potatoes (aren't they also yams, i.e. just a synonym?). I bake her two to my one regular potato. All are slathered with butter, holes poked in to prevent explosion. I cook my spuds over an hour and spray them with spray oil 2 or 3 times; her sweets I take out at about 40 to 45 minutes. We both love them that way, just whole. But she also likes me to cut her sweets up and make a soup much as described above in this thread. I do not puree them, however.

Squash and pumpkins are not my favorites (but I love making home made pumpkin seeds ;))

Back
Top Bottom