Shallot/Tarragon Soup TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've avoided Tarragon for years. I had a taste of this soup and I'm now a lover of the herb.
6 c. of chicken stock bring this and 8 large thinly sliced shallots,2 sprigs or 1/2 tea. dry tarragon,2 stalks of celery with leaves chopped, to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 45 min. Pass through a food mill or strainer, season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Whip 4 egg yolks and 1 c. heavy cream and add to the soup whisking constantly. Slowly reheat,stirring constantly, til slightly thickened. Don't boil or soup will curdle. Serve hot garnished with lots of fresh chopped chives and a dash of paprika.
enjoy
kadesma

My first experience with tarragon was a disaster! First month of marriage...trying to impress the husband with "tarragon chicken"....simple enough recipe but as I prepared the chicken for the over opened the dried tarragon thinking it had a shaker top but it was an open top....dumped half the jar over the chicken....took off as much as I could but it wasn't enough...tasted terrible but we choked it down...lol I was much more cautious next time!

My first experience with tarragon was a disaster! First month of marriage...trying to impress the husband with "tarragon chicken"....simple enough recipe but as I prepared the chicken for the over opened the dried tarragon thinking it had a shaker top but it was an open top....dumped half the jar over the chicken....took off as much as I could but it wasn't enough...tasted terrible but we choked it down...lol I was much more cautious next time!
Oh goodness:ohmy: I guess we all have one of thse times. I did about the same thing making pasta sauce with rosemary..Boy was it a mes..Felt like we were eating weeds:LOL:
kadesma

I've avoided Tarragon for years. I had a taste of this soup and I'm now a lover of the herb.
6 c. of chicken stock bring this and 8 large thinly sliced shallots,2 sprigs or 1/2 tea. dry tarragon,2 stalks of celery with leaves chopped, to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 45 min. Pass through a food mill or strainer, season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Whip 4 egg yolks and 1 c. heavy cream and add to the soup whisking constantly. Slowly reheat,stirring constantly, til slightly thickened. Don't boil or soup will curdle. Serve hot garnished with lots of fresh chopped chives and a dash of paprika.
enjoy
kadesma

You are really on a roll, Kades! This is going to be GREAT! can hardly wait to make it. Sounds really springy, as well.

Love tarragon. use it often with chicken, and even more frequently with fish.

Fwiw, if you sub creme fraiche for the heavy cream, you don't have to worry about curdling.

You are really on a roll, Kades! This is going to be GREAT! can hardly wait to make it. Sounds really springy, as well.

Love tarragon. use it often with chicken, and even more frequently with fish.

Fwiw, if you sub creme fraiche for the heavy cream, you don't have to worry about curdling.
Thanks June, next time I make it I'll use some creme fraiche.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom