Shellfish Stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spryte

Senior Cook
I was thinking about making a Shellfish stock (for what I have no idea!) But I have a few lobster shells & a bunch of shrimp shells in the freezer.

Ummmm.... anyone know where I go from there?? I've never made a stock like this before (other than the totally yummy stock that comes from mussels or clams! mmmmmm)

Should I start with a batch of mussels or clams... then add lobster & shrimps shells? Can anyone help?

I have never made it myself so I can not be of much help here, but I think you would just use the shells from the lobsters and shrimp. I do not think you would use the clams or mussels. I am probably dead wrong about this, but it is just my gut feeling. I am sure someone who has actual knowledge about this will pipe in soon enough to give you a real answer :)

The link below is a recipe for shrimp stock from Emeril. It would translate to lobster shells as well (or a combination).

I would suggest you consider either browning the shells in a saute pan or in the oven before making the stock. This would give you a richer flavor but may not be appropriate for all recipes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_23561,00.html

I don't think you'd get much flavor from clams or mussels. The flavor comes from the contents.

I normally do a seafood stock this way...

6 qts water
2 carrots, quartered
2 celery ribs, halved
1 onion, quartered
1/4 c white wine
juice of one lemon
seafood product
bouquet garni with: kosher salt, green peppercorn, garlic, dill, thyme, and bay leaves.

Simmer for 2 hours, or even longer if necessary.

This always works good as a cooking liquid for risotto

Remove bouquet garni, strain.

If not using immediately, cool and store properly.

Last edited:
Just make sure you use what you make and if you have to store some in the freezer don't keep it in there for long. It gets funky! Ask me how I know. :yuk:

Ohhhhh.... it's gets funky :(

I just got a new chest freezer and I have the fixin's for bunches of different stocks. I had planned to finally make them all and freeze into ice trays then baggies to use as needed.

So it's not a good idea with a seafood stock?

spryte said:
I was thinking about making a Shellfish stock (for what I have no idea!) But I have a few lobster shells & a bunch of shrimp shells in the freezer.

Ummmm.... anyone know where I go from there?? I've never made a stock like this before (other than the totally yummy stock that comes from mussels or clams! mmmmmm)

Should I start with a batch of mussels or clams... then add lobster & shrimps shells? Can anyone help?

I know from watching J. Pepin that this can be done 'short' ie; under an hour. The key being not to let it boil or it will get cloudy. Try looking for a lobster bisque recipe and that should get you in the right direction for a shellfish stock.

spryte, no it'll be fine ... just try to use it within a few months. :)

BTW, seafood stock is good in any seafood-based soup like shrimp & corn, gumbo, etc.

Erik said:

6 qts water
2 carrots, quartered
2 celery ribs, halved
1 onion, quartered
1/4 c white wine
juice of one lemon
seafood product
bouquet garni with: kosher salt, green peppercorn, garlic, dill, thyme, and bay leaves.

I make mine similar to Eriks, though I dont use as much water. I've used shrimp shells, lobster shells, and scraps of fresh fish including tails and heads. I've never used the shells from a clam or a mussell though.

Ah.... It's my recipe website.... I just got a call from my friend that hosts it and it just went down today. :(

Hopefully it will be up soon.

Erik said:

6 qts water
2 carrots, quartered
2 celery ribs, halved
1 onion, quartered
1/4 c white wine
juice of one lemon
seafood product

Same here, except instead of the bouquet garni I use Bay Leaf Seasoning and Penzeys Seafood Base.

Last edited:
Knowing what you're going to use the stock for will help you decide what to put in it. Just three things to keep in mind - ALWAYS start with cold water, bring it up just to almost a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer, never simmer more than about 30-45 minutes. When I make shrimp gumbo I just toss the legs, shells and tails into a pot as I peel the shrimp, cover with cold water (about 2-qt water for the shells from 2-lbs of shrimp - or enough to cover), bring up to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. After 30 minutes I remove from the heat, cover, and allow to steep for about 30 minutes - then strain. Since all I'm looking for is the essence of the shrimp I don't need to add vegetables, herbs or spices - those are in the gumbo. If I was going to take this stock, reduce it, and use it to make a bisque or a cream sauce then I might add the vegetables, herbs and spices when making the stock.

As someone noted - your not going to get any flavor from mussel, oyster or clam shells. Since their juices are already their essence - there is no need to make a stock from them.

Back
Top Bottom