Snip's Clear Beetroot soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
This clear soup is great to serve as a light starter or just to drink from a cup to warm your belly :)

1kg of beetroot without greens (2.2 lbs)
1 large or 2 medium onions
2 carrots
1 liter (4 cups) of vegetable stock (liquid ready to use or prepared stock powder or cubes)
2 liters (8 cups) of water
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1 small bunch of fresh marjoram (or 2 tsps. of dry)

salt to taste

Peel and grate beetroot, carrots and onion. You could also shred in your processor if preferred. Add the water and stock and simmer for 1 to 1 and a half hours. Strain soup through a sieve, press with the back of a spoon or ladle to remove all juices from the veggies. Return to heat and reduce by 1 3rd. Add vinegar and finely chopped marjoram and season with more salt if you like. Serve hot as is or with a side of potato pierogies.

Cut and pasted! On my list of "other things to do with beets from the garden" (my problem is I really like to juice them and that is my #1 choice). Sounds great--thanks for sharing. At first I thought the liquid would be vodka (whee, glad it isn't, I couldn't afford to make this with the price of vodka in Canada!).

Cut and pasted! On my list of "other things to do with beets from the garden" (my problem is I really like to juice them and that is my #1 choice). Sounds great--thanks for sharing. At first I thought the liquid would be vodka (whee, glad it isn't, I couldn't afford to make this with the price of vodka in Canada!).

Oh bite me :LOL: Vodka keeps you young, it's a good preservative ;)

This soup taste very much like a flavoured beet juice. By grating and boiling for such a long time most of the flavor and goodness ends up in the broth. You'll see if you taste the beet bits after straining that they are pretty much flavourless!

You can even serve it chilled :)

Back
Top Bottom