Sometimes, Good enough is Good Enogh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I grew up on Campbell's Condensed soups; split pea, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, tomato, beef & barley, etc. My Dad used to take to cream of something soups, and combine them. As a child, I thought he was very creative and daring. To his credit, his parings worked. I liked the cream of mushroom combined with the clam chowder, or cream of celery soups, for instance.

Now I know that I can make a better cream of anything soup from scratch. But I don['t always have the time, or ingredients to do so. When I have a desire for cream of mushroom soup, and can't make my own, I've always turned to the Campbell's condenced soup. It has good mushroom flavor, and I like the texture. I take a spoonful of soup, move it to my cheeks, and strain the mushrooms against my cheek while pushing the liquid through my teeth to swallow. I leave little globules of the starch in the soup as they have a more intense mushroom flavor than if they are completely homogenized with the milk or water. The soup broth is still creamy enough.

I just tried a store brand for comparison to the Campbell's version. I[ve tried multiple stor brands from multiple stores, and have always found them lacking in flavor. The brand I jsut tried is Meyr brand cream of mushroom, condenced soup. The flavor is so close to the Campell's, I don't think I could tell them apart, unless sampling them side by side. As always, i strained all of the mushrrom bits into my cheeks, so that when the bowl of soup was consumed, I had a good ocuple of cheekfulls of mushrooms to munch. To my surprise, when I started chewing them, a good mushroom flavor came out, stonger than in the soup broth. And I believe there might have been a few more mushroom bits in the Meyer brand compared to the Campbells.

When I don't have time to make a really great cream of mushroom soup, the Meyer brand is good enough, and is a good value.:mrgreen:.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I still use Campbell soups as ingredients more than soups like mom did when I was growing up. Sometimes that childhood flavour hits the spot like mature cooking can’t. I’ll add a can of tomato soup to a pot of my homemade beef soup the silky tomato is a nice addition. I’ll add a can of mushroom soup to a pot of potato soup etc adds a lil something.

I’m a meaty homemade soup kinda guy I’ll admit I’ve never made homemade tomato or celery or mushroom soup. I enjoy Campbells so that’s where I go if I want it. But again it’s not near as much as when I was a kid

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom