"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-30-2003, 12:22 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Soup

Does anyone have some recipes from other countries for soup. I need 2 recipes or more of soup for the Midwest United States Winters. All I make now is chicken soup, and vegetable soup. Thank you! :roll:

Old 08-30-2003, 07:04 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Soopadee-doo-dah!

Ham and Navy Bean Soup

Navy beans
Ham
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Ham base
Roux
Cream

A good, hearty soup for cold weather. I left out seasonings, because its pretty basic. Some cooks add flour dumplings.

Split Pea Soup

Same recipe as above, actually, only switching split peas for navy beans and cutting back on the ham. The flavor is somewhat more delicate, and should be seasoned cautiously.

:) Bone appetite!

Old 08-30-2003, 08:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

soup

Here's some that I do at work. Let me know which one u want:

Roasted Kabocha Pumpkin and Ginger Soup with Crispy Leeks and Creme Fraiche

Roasted Garlic Soup with Iranian Osetra Caviar and Truffle Essence

Savoy Cabbage and Pancetta Soup with Caramelized Red Onion and Hominy "Crostini"

Wild Mushroom Chowder with Speck and Porcini Essence

Gingered-Tomato "Manhattan" Seafood Chowder with Atlantic Salmon, Prince Edward Island Mussels, and Manila Clams
Old 08-30-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Stardust, a simple "Google.com" search for "soup recipes" will give you more recipes than you can make in a year.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I agree with Old Coot about the search but I know you probably want some tried and true ones too. The Sausage and Cabbage soup below the Lion's Head Soup is one that we never get tired of and you can vary it according to taste - like add kidney beans or canellini beans, green beans, sliced zucchini, fresh basil, cubed potatoes, corn, etc. I couldn't find any turkey sausage and we like a hearty sausage flavor so I normally use kielbasa unless we have some Andouille, which is fairly spicy if you need to take kids into consideration.

Just re-read your post and you did mention soups from "other" countries - so here is another favorite -

This is a Shanghai casserole which I make into a soup -

Lion's Head Meatball Soup
Serves 4-6

MEATBALL INGREDIENTS
1 lb. ground pork
1 slice giner, minced
3 scallions, cut into thin slices
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 TBS sherry (regular drinking dry sherry - not cooking sherry)
1 TBS light soy sauce
1/2 TBS cornstarch
black or white pepper to taste

3 cups chicken stock (1 cup of you are just doing the casserole)
**to the broth I add about 3 TBS soy sauce, 3 TBS sherry and more chopped scallions
1 lb. bok choy, thoroughly washed of dirt and cut into bite-size pieces
3 TBS oil to be used for cooking

Put ground pork in bowl and add all of the meatball ingredients mixing by hand, moving in one direction. Kind of like you are folding everything in as you would do with a mousse. When everything is mixed form into about 2-inch meatballs. Cook meatballs on medium heat until they are golden brown. They do not have to be done. (If you are doing the casserole you can make 4 large meatballs if you want them big) Drain on paper towels. ***if doing casserole place bok choy on bottom of casserole dish, place meatballs on top, add stock and for 4 large meatballs cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours).

Heat the stock adding the soy sauce, sugar, sherry, and any other seasonongs you think would be right. Once heated put bok choy on the bottom of the pan, place meatballs on top and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour - depending on how large you made your meatballs. If the meatballs are really small then I would heat the stock and bok choy for awhile then add the smaller meatballs. (This isn't hard at all I just get "wordy" in my directions :oops:

Here is a link to some endless possibilities - http://www.cooksrecipes.com/soups/soup-recipes.html

SAUSAGE AND CABBAGE SOUP

12 oz. turkey sausage (or kielbasa)
2 tsp. oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek halved lengthways and thinly sliced
2 carrots halved and thinly sliced
14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
12 oz. young green cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
pinch of dried thyme
6 1/4 cups fresh chicken or meat stock
salt and pepper
top with Parmesan

NOTE: I did not have any fresh chicken or meat stock so I used about 1 TBS of chicken base. You can also use 1 bouillon cube - but only use 1 as this is a rather clean-tasting broth versus heavy chicken or beef flavor.

Slice and sauté sausages in your pot. When almost done add the onion, leek, and carrots and cook about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. When onions begin to soften add your can of tomatoes and use the liquid from that to deglaze the pan being sure to get up all the brown collected on the bottom of the pot. Then add cabbage, garlic, and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook gently, partially covered, for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.

Taste soup, adjust seasonings, and serve with grated Parmesan cheese for topping.
[/url]

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
Senior Cook

i live in the midwest and i have a soup recipe--does that count?
here's one that's based on my mother's recipe, but I've added a lot of stuff to give it a little more 'kick' (not to mention make it less healthy ):

Potato Soup

2 large baking potatoes
8 slices bacon
2 tsp parsley
2 cans evaporated milk (24 oz.)
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 tbsp sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 to 2 tbsp creole seasoning
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper

1. Wash potatoes under cold running water. Chop potatoes into 1/2” – 3/4” cubes (peel first, if desired) and place into large pot. Cover potatoes in water, and boil on high until soft (but not mushy).
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon slices. Drain on paper towels. After cool, crumble bacon into small pieces in a bowl. Set aside.
3. When potatoes are done, drain in a colander, and place potatoes back in pot. Add all ingredients except the bacon and parsley, and stir together over medium-high heat, bringing contents to a boil. Stir often to keep bottom from burning. After cheese and butter have melted, reduce heat to low, and continue stirring for 5-10 minutes.
4. Ladle soup into bowls, and sprinkle bacon and parsley on top. Serve with crackers.

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
Senior Cook

This was my lunch today. Delicious!! The tequila (neat) went perfectly with the soup and freshly deep fried corn tortilla chips. And that hefty squeeze of lime juice into the soup at the last moment is absolutely essential!
(Authenticiity note: even that table is a ca 1930 Monterey that I've had all that time. All else was "hecho in Mexico") :)

SOPA de ALBONDIGAS
(MEXICAN MEATBALL SOUP

INGREDIENTS;

1 ½ lbs Ground Beef
¼ cup Flour (All purpose)
2 Eggs
6 cups Chicken Broth
4 cups Beef Broth
1 tsp Oregano leaves, fresh
(dry may be substituted)
1 med Spanish Onion, coarsely chopped
2 tsp Chili powder
5 Carrots, thinly sliced
¼ cup Rice, long grain white
1/3 cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
¾ lb Spinach leaves,
3 Mexican or Key Limes, cut
4 Into wedges.

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, mix beef, flour, eggs, and ½ cup chicken broth, set aside.
In an 8 quart pot, combine remaining chicken broth, beef broth, oregano, onions and chili powder. Bring to a boil over high heat, then heat to low. Shape meat mixture into 1 to 1 ½ in balls and drop into broth. Simmer uncovered (skim off fat or foam) for 5 minutes. Add carrots, rice, and cilantro. Simmer uncovered until carrots and rice are tender (about 20 minutes.).
Discard spinach stems and cut leaves crosswise into thin shreds, add spinach to soup and simmer 5 more minutes.

Pour into bowls, sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves, offer lime wedges. Serves 6-8[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
Cook

If you're at all interested in some healthy soups, here's a link to a bunch of hearty but healthy soups:

http://www.bellybytes.com/recipes/soup.shtml
Old 09-27-2003, 02:46 PM   #9
Cook

This recipe is a favourite in our family. It's called curried carrot and apple soup.

You'll need:
- 2lbs carrots, sliced
- 2 green apples (such as Granny Smith), diced
- Itbsp curry powder, hot or mild according to your taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- chicken broth (enough to cover the veggies)
- salt to taste
- 1tbsp oil

Haet the oil. Fry your curry powder for a couple of minutes. Add chopped onion and stir fry until transparent. Add carrots and apples + salt. Cook for about 10 minutes (you'll need to stir the vegetables frequently). Add the broth and cook until vegetables are tender. Blend until smooth. Voilà! It's quick, quite tasty and guaranteed to keep you warm on winter days.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
One of my favorite things is curry anything!! - I will have to make this soon. Thanks so much for the recipe. I make this sausage, apple soup and I can't wait to try it with the curry for a change!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None