"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Speaking of soup bases, has anyone here tried the jarred granulated ones that Penzey's offers? They have quite a selection - chicken, beef, seafood, ham, etc., etc. I've been tempted, particularly for the seafood, but haven't bought yet.

No, but I've used their chicken base in a paste form. I thought it was very sweet. It's the only thing from Penzey's that I have been disappointed in.

Like GB and Andy, I use Minor's from BJ's.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I have not seen the granulated from Penzys, but like Jenny have tried their paste type. It was actually my first experience with base. I like Minors better.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:45 AM   #13
Master Chef

In the absence of homemade stock ... I, too, use bases to boost the flavor of canned broths - or as a substitute if I don't have any canned or boxed, or if I just need a little not worth opening a can or box for.

As for the really thick paste types - I like Gourmet Award and Better Than Bullion.

I agree with America's Test Kitchen's tasting survey that the boxed Swanson's was better than any of the canned. However, I tried the Walmart brand (Great Value) and liked it even better!

Knorr used to make a variety of bullion cubes in addition to the usual beef, chicken, vegetable (fish, lamb, pork) and liquid contrated "essences" (chicken and beef were the only ones I remember seeing) that I haven't seen in several years.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks for the tip Michael. I do most of my regular food shopping at WalMart, & while I've bought many of their own brand products, have never tried the chicken broth. Will have to give it a whirl.

As for the Knorr cubes, I do have a package of their "fish" bouillion cubes that I haven't tried yet. Don't remember what market I picked it up from.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I like the Minor brand the best. I use the chicken, beef, pork and ham the most but I also have others like lobster, mushroom, veal etc.
Here is where I get mine.
Soupbase.com for Minor's chicken base, lobster base, clam base, low sodium, sauces and other gourmet cooking ingredients and recipes.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I have seen it at Sam's but didn't have the need to get it at the time.
I think it's pretty good stuff. It adds a lot of richness to the broth.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I use base in alot of things beside soup or a broth ingredient. I put the end of a teaspoon of chicken base in corn instead of butter. I use a taste of beef base in my ground beef for chili. It really brings out the flavor of the other ingredients. Add chicken base to cauliflower or broccoli while they are steaming for dinner. For veggie dip, mix some beef base (to taste) in sour cream and add chopped onion. Delicious!
I am with a couple others about trying the mushroom base. I havent seen that one and I bet it is really good. I'll report back!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
Master Chef

Breezy - another tip .... beef broth generally only goes on sale between Thanksgiving and Christmas (about 1/2 the price or less than during the rest of the year).

Last year Walmart had the boxed beef broth for $1. I bought a case (24 boxes). I had to rework my food budget ... but it has been worth it. They also has chicken broth for 2/$1 - got a case of them, too!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Minor's chicken and lobster base has been for a long time one of my secret ingredients that I use at work. I use the chicken to add a nice savory flavor to cream sauces and soups, even if they're not labeled as "chicken soup." In fact, a little Minor's chicken base dissolved in some mushroom or tomato bisque really brings up the flavors.

The main reason why bases work so well is because not only are they concentrated flavors, but they also contain Mono-Sodium-Glutamate (MSG). This is why it works so well as a secret ingredient. Hidden Valley ranch packets also work really well for the same reason.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jacob View Post
The main reason why bases work so well is because not only are they concentrated flavors, but they also contain Mono-Sodium-Glutamate (MSG). .
Actually most of the Minors I see around is the NO MSG type. That's the variety that I use.

I haven't seen the kind with MSG for ages.

Tags
None