"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Master Chef

Soup Base - Who Uses It?

Anyone use soup base from a jar to start the soup ? I like "Better Than Bouillion" for when I don't have fresh ingredients on hand or don't have the patience to start completely from scratch. I have used the chicken base, the beef base and the vegetable base.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I use canned broths when I don't have home made. I sometimes add a spoon or two of beef or chicken base to boost the flavor of a dish. I use Minor's bases I buy at BJs.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Master Chef

I frequently use Swanson's Chicken broth when I'm out of homemade for soup. I also use it in all sorts of different recipes, & also just as a nice cup of broth to enjoy on a cold afternoon instead of tea. I LOVE the cartons for their convenience. I just mark on the carton when I opened it, & if I haven't used it up within 14 days, I either freeze what's left or, if it's just a tiny bit, add it to the dogs' food.

Although I haven't tried it yet, the other day one of our local markets had cartons of "Mushroom Broth", which I think would be VERY interesting to experiment with. I've made my own mushroom broth several times for vegetarian vegetable soups, but I still plan on trying the carton to see how it compares.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use canned broths when I don't have home made. I sometimes add a spoon or two of beef or chicken base to boost the flavor of a dish. I use Minor's bases I buy at BJs.
I have canned broths too. I'm not a member at BJ's , hubby does not want to spend the money for membership there since we have Sam's Club.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I frequently use Swanson's Chicken broth when I'm out of homemade for soup. I also use it in all sorts of different recipes, & also just as a nice cup of broth to enjoy on a cold afternoon instead of tea. I LOVE the cartons for their convenience. I just mark on the carton when I opened it, & if I haven't used it up within 14 days, I either freeze what's left or, if it's just a tiny bit, add it to the dogs' food.

Although I haven't tried it yet, the other day one of our local markets had cartons of "Mushroom Broth", which I think would be VERY interesting to experiment with. I've made my own mushroom broth several times for vegetarian vegetable soups, but I still plan on trying the carton to see how it compares.
I have seen the Mushroom Broth , have not bought it yet.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

You can find Minor's in other stores. I'm not saying you have to use Minor's. I use the Better Than Boullion brand of veggie base for in the brine for my Thanksgiving turkey.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I always have chicken and beef base at home. I use Minors like Andy and I also get it at BJ's, but it can be found other places. I have seen it online as well.

I use it when I do not want to open a whole carton of stock or when I want a stronger tasting stock or liquid.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I have canned broths too. I'm not a member at BJ's , hubby does not want to spend the money for membership there since we have Sam's Club.
I use beef and chicken base also to boost the flavor. I get mine at Sam's Club. It's in the spice isle. It's made by Tone's
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Master Chef

Speaking of soup bases, has anyone here tried the jarred granulated ones that Penzey's offers? They have quite a selection - chicken, beef, seafood, ham, etc., etc. I've been tempted, particularly for the seafood, but haven't bought yet.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I use beef and chicken base also to boost the flavor. I get mine at Sam's Club. It's in the spice isle. It's made by Tone's
I have seen it at Sam's but didn't have the need to get it at the time.

Tags
None