"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Well Claire, I think we have more in common than our name! Before I started my website I could not even tell you how I made my soups besides ' a little bit of this, a little bit of that, a bit more of this and if you have that sure use that as well!'

Then I figured that for people who aren't very comfortable with cooking new recipes, a more detailed recipe will make them try something new which will then give them the confidence to try something else again!

But it sure feels great being surrounded by all !

Thank you so much for you recipes:Claire, Skittle68, CWS3422, CharlieD, GLC! I am happy to try all the recipes and write about them on my website in the new year which I know now will be . If you like me to name it after you then please send me your name, where your from, whether you like to make this soup on a certain occasion. I'm happy to post a picture of you as well next to the picture of the soup.

Take care and have a great day

Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68
Creamy tomato basil soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 lb tomatoes peeled, cored, and quartered,
1 28 oz diced tomatoes, or equivalent fresh diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh, chopped basil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 quart chicken stock
16 oz heavy cream
Basil sprigs for garnish (optional)

Sautť onion with olive oil until tender, add quartered tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer to blender, or use immersion blender until smooth. Add diced tomatoes, and heavy cream, return to boil, garnish with sprig of basil
Mine is just a recipe I found online, then tweaked to make it more like the soup a local restaurant serves. I started making it because my boyfriend loves tomato basil, but I realized I love this soup too! It is certainly not you store brand variety tomato soup.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Steak Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesoup View Post
Hi,

My name is Claire and I recently moved from Amsterdam to London with my husband and 3 children. Last month I started a blog about soup; 52 recipes in 52 weeks.

Ever since I can remember soup has been such an important dish in my family that I simple love it and can't live without!
So I figured why not share my recipes, my mum's, grandmother but also from you if you have a favorite soup recipe.

If you would like to share your soup recipe with me and don't mind posting it to share with all soup lovers out there than please send me a post.

Have very, happy and healthy new years with lots of delicious soups
Well this is a great idea ilovesoup, so here is my recipe for Steak soup, hope you like it and use it:
1st let me share the steak rub recipe, it is: 1 tablespoons thyme, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons parsley flakes 1/4 tablespoon paprika, 1/4 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 tablespoon salt, grind all together in a coffee grinder or just mix it all together and shake before using.

Here is the steak soup recipe:
Timís Steak Soup:
2 Can's beef broth
2 New York Steak's chopped Into cubes

Flour
Half bag California Blend vegetables (Carrots, Broccoli and Cauliflower)
1 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, rinsed well and drained.

1 can cut green beans, drained
I medium potato cubed
Timís Steak Rub (See recipe above)
1 Large clove garlic, minced
*Note, the broth was a bit green from the spinach so next time I am going to rinse and drain the spinach first.

Season 1/4 cup flour with 1 tablespoon steak rub and dredge steak in flour mixture. Sear in a skillet over high heat just to brown the outside of the steak pieces.
Put beef broth and steak pieces in large pot and add all the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Add as much of the steak rub as you like, I put in about a teaspoon or so.
This soup is SO good, hope you like it.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

As I wrote yesterday I was making carrot soup. The freezer was featuring turkey stock, the fridge was featuring carrots that were on their last legs and the carcass of a chicken. Made chicken stock, added turkey (this is why recipes don't work -- both the chicken and turkey stock were made with lots of onion, garlic, herbs). Threw in the bag of carrots (it was a large bag of the trimmed "baby" carrots). The pantry revealed a bottle of sherry.

Most soups are vastly improved by a dash of dry sherry!

Pureed using my immersion blender (a soup/sauce maker's best friend). I now have a good dinner/lunch for us, and some leftover for a shut-in friend who has no teeth.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Hi,

My name is Claire and I recently moved from Amsterdam to London with my husband and 3 children. Last month I started a blog about soup; 52 recipes in 52 weeks.

Ever since I can remember soup has been such an important dish in my family that I simple love it and can't live without!
So I figured why not share my recipes, my mum's, grandmother but also from you if you have a favorite soup recipe.

If you would like to share your soup recipe with me and don't mind posting it to share with all soup lovers out there than please send me a post.

Have very, happy and healthy new years with lots of delicious soups
Are you willing to share the link to your blog?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Jolokia
I have a really unique soup question which seems like it might find a perfect answer from all you soup experts! I am a hindu, so I do not eat beef. But I only started following this practice from when I was in high school, before which I used to eat some beef. I didn't really enjoy most beef products much so giving it up was not too difficult. The one food though I really miss though is french onion soup. I understand it is impossible to truly replicate the soup without using beef stock, but does anyone have good tips or options to make a similarly hearty non-beef version?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
Head Chef

I'm sure the purists will be in here screaming that there's no substitute for beef broth shortly. But I'm a firm believer in using what you like!

The first thing I thought of was using some red wine (or sherry?) and a roasted vegetable & mushroom broth. If you're not adverse to chicken, maybe you could start with chicken stock and build up flavor from there?

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Jolokia
Thanks Zereh!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolokia View Post
I have a really unique soup question which seems like it might find a perfect answer from all you soup experts! I am a hindu, so I do not eat beef. But I only started following this practice from when I was in high school, before which I used to eat some beef. I didn't really enjoy most beef products much so giving it up was not too difficult. The one food though I really miss though is french onion soup. I understand it is impossible to truly replicate the soup without using beef stock, but does anyone have good tips or options to make a similarly hearty non-beef version?
How about lamb stock? You'd probably have to make your own. If you ant to enjoy onion soup, make it with chicken or veggie broth. It won't be exactly the same but it will be good.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Soup blog

Quote:
Hi,

What is the blog address so we can read it? Thanks!

Tags
other, soup, soup recipes