"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 09-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #11
Soup Weather

When you are cooking any kind of noodles,Always put them in the last 3to 4 minutes, You don' t need to cook them any longer, they will aldente. You can do any kind of noodle this way it works..........

linda gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:36 AM   #12
Hey Tanis, can't believe I missed this thread before. Kitchenelf has it right. But if you are going to be freezing your soup don't freeze any noodles in it. Put em together as you serve it and just freeze the soup part. Make all noodles fresh. I have recently found that noodles freeze really well after you cook them so I will now have frozen noodles ready to toss into...whatever from now on.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:33 AM   #13
Master Chef
I make great home made soups, but have to admit I avoid putting in rice or noodles for the most part. When I want to, I cook the rice or noodles separately, then put them in the individual bowls, then pour the soup over them, so that the leftovers (the point of soup sometimes is to have a ton for the freezer to nuke on a cold day) aren't mushy. My home made soups tend to feature beans, split peas, lentils, and vegs. Noodle and rice soups I do make, but do not plan for leftovers. Converted rice (NOT minute rice, but uncle bens types) hold up a little better in soup that raw rice, much as I hate to admit it.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
this is exactly why I don't like pasta in soups (even the canned ones.) If you reheat, it tastes like the pasta dough goes back to it's raw state-- yick. But on the other hand, this is exactly why I like rice in soup. It turns whatever it's in almost to a chowder. Although pastina in a tomato soup with cream, garlic and basil is the only exception to my no-pasta soup rule. But if you let that sit, it turns into a vile, gelatinous mess. Again, yick.
puddinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:40 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
It seems Barbra that NO one is useful in this subject. I just need to know when to put the noodles in. Someone has have to made home made soup in the past and never had problems...so if ANYONE can clue me in.....
The only soup I make with pasta these days is a (very good) knock off of Olive Garden's Pasta e fagioli soup - I cook the pasta separate and put a serving in each bowl just before adding the soup. If I were making a small enough batch that it would all be eaten at one meal, I'd simply stir in the cooked pasta just before serving. I occasionally cook more pasta than needed for the meal and toss it with a little olive oil before refrigerating in a zip lock bag, then again, just before serving, stir it into the hot soup. I would think you could do that with any kind of noodle. I really don't like the texture of left over pasta in soup...so there's my cure!

JRsTXDeb is offline   Reply With Quote