Soup Weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
For the life of me I CAN NOT make a decent soup. I do good with the broth, veggies ect, but when it comes to adding the noodles or rice...HELLO! Why can Cambells make soups and the damn noodles are never mush??? I know to put the noodles ect in just before eating, does it work NO! And if I want to freeze the remaining protions...then what. You end up with a pot of mush...dog food. How can I solve this????

Help, please

Tanis,

LOL I'm not sure how to help you with your noodle dilemma. (And actually I have found Campbell's Soup noodles to be very soft!).

Maybe if you use macaroni instead of noodles? Or cook them separately until the texture you want and then throw them in when you serve it? Maybe home-made noodles would be firmer?

Hopefully someone else will be more help!

:) Barbara

It seems Barbra that NO one is useful in this subject. I just need to know when to put the noodles in. Someone has have to made home made soup in the past and never had problems...so if ANYONE can clue me in.....

I think it depends on the type of noodles you are using since they will all require different cooking times. If you are cooking and eating the soup right away then follow the times on the noodle package and cook them right in the soup. It you will be eating the soup at another time then don't cook the noodles in the soup, but cook them when you are going to eat it otherwise they will get very soft.

Thanks guys! Maybe I will try those itty bitty tiny noodles that you can buy in an itty bitty tiny box.......I'll have a boo at different types while I am gettin groceries the next time around....

Duck soup

EDITH'S DUCK SOUP
Cut legs, thighs and both halves of breast from carcass. Wash, dry and
freeze them for a Duck L'Orange bake later.

Cut wings from carcass. Remove all fat from carcass. Split the carcass in
half and cut each half again until you have four quarters. Leave the skin on
the lean pieces. Put bones in a large kettle and add water to cover. Cook
bones until meat falls off bones. Dice a small head of cabbage and put
aside. Peel and thinly slice 3 or 4 carrots - set aside. thinly slice 3
stalks of celery. Set aside. Dice one medium size onion and set aside. Peel,
slice and dice four medium-sized potatoes
and set aside.

When the duck is tender and cool, remove all bones and break up the duck
pieces into bite size pieces. Throw out the bones. Wash and drain all
veggies - add to duck and broth. Cover with water. Let cook slowly about 1
hour. Salt and pepper to taste. I used quite a lot of pepper and it was
delicious. Keep cooking on low heat until all is very tender. Taste again
for seasonings. It's a great "company" soup and can be made the day before
and reheated.

Last April Oldcoot was duscussing Duck Soup. I found one and I think he has gone away for the week...
Marge

Easy solution.....just add the pasta or rice at the end of cooking the soup for the time it takes to cook the noodles or pasta according to the package directions or cook the rice/pasta in water separately drain in a colander and add just before serving.

Hi tancowgirl,

What you should do is cook the noodles separately and when JUST al dente rinse them in cold water thoroughly! Then when completely cold add to your soup. It's sort of like blanching and cooling vegetables. Once they are cooled off they don't really cook much more when re-heated.

Even if you cook at the last minute they will continue cooking as long as the pot of "whatever" is still warm - which is why they turn mushy.

mmmmm...... I'm still trying to think of any Campbell's soup that DOESN'T have mushy noodles :roll:

When you are cooking any kind of noodles,Always put them in the last 3to 4 minutes, You don' t need to cook them any longer, they will aldente. You can do any kind of noodle this way it works..........

Songbird

Hey Tanis, can't believe I missed this thread before. Kitchenelf has it right. But if you are going to be freezing your soup don't freeze any noodles in it. Put em together as you serve it and just freeze the soup part. Make all noodles fresh. I have recently found that noodles freeze really well after you cook them so I will now have frozen noodles ready to toss into...whatever from now on.

I make great home made soups, but have to admit I avoid putting in rice or noodles for the most part. When I want to, I cook the rice or noodles separately, then put them in the individual bowls, then pour the soup over them, so that the leftovers (the point of soup sometimes is to have a ton for the freezer to nuke on a cold day) aren't mushy. My home made soups tend to feature beans, split peas, lentils, and vegs. Noodle and rice soups I do make, but do not plan for leftovers. Converted rice (NOT minute rice, but uncle bens types) hold up a little better in soup that raw rice, much as I hate to admit it.

this is exactly why I don't like pasta in soups (even the canned ones.) If you reheat, it tastes like the pasta dough goes back to it's raw state-- yick. But on the other hand, this is exactly why I like rice in soup. It turns whatever it's in almost to a chowder. Although pastina in a tomato soup with cream, garlic and basil is the only exception to my no-pasta soup rule. But if you let that sit, it turns into a vile, gelatinous mess. Again, yick.

tancowgirl2000 said:
It seems Barbra that NO one is useful in this subject. I just need to know when to put the noodles in. Someone has have to made home made soup in the past and never had problems...so if ANYONE can clue me in.....
The only soup I make with pasta these days is a (very good) knock off of Olive Garden's Pasta e fagioli soup - I cook the pasta separate and put a serving in each bowl just before adding the soup. If I were making a small enough batch that it would all be eaten at one meal, I'd simply stir in the cooked pasta just before serving. I occasionally cook more pasta than needed for the meal and toss it with a little olive oil before refrigerating in a zip lock bag, then again, just before serving, stir it into the hot soup. I would think you could do that with any kind of noodle. I really don't like the texture of left over pasta in soup...so there's my cure!

Back
Top Bottom