Soup with Cilantro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well... you could always take water, bamboo shoots, some of those long mushroom things. shitake mushrooms and boil them for a long time like 45 minutes and add in ,sugar salt ,chinese black vinegar, cilantro. Ill try to get the recipie from my mom.

I always thought cilantro was used as something you awould add to a soup like adding salt and peper.

Heh, you too huh? Coriander (what we Aussies call cilantro) would have to be my favourite herb. The fresh smell and taste of it is intoxicating. Personally I think some herbs should be illegal, they are too addictive.

Chicken, Coriander and Lime Soup
--------------------------------

2 medium sized chicken breasts
2 teaspoons celery salt and black pepper
1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
4-6 fresh limes, juiced
2 fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 brown onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 celery stalks (optional)
fresh red chillies, seeded and diced (to taste)
1 tablespoon red capsicum, diced
1.75 litres (7.5 cups) chicken stock

Method:
Dice the chicken breasts into 2 centimetre cubes. Saute in olive oil with celery salt and pepper until cooked.

In a large soup pot, saute onion, garlic, and chillies for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Add celery and cook another 5 minutes.

Add chicken, tomatoes, capsicum, chicken stock, and the juice from the limes (vary lime quantity depending on how juicy limes are and how tart you want the soup to taste).

Bring to a boil, reduce to very low simmer and add chopped coriander. Keep warm for 20 minutes before serving.

Serve with thin slices of lime on top.

Tortilla Soup with Chicken and Lime
-----------------------------------

4 corn tortillas
1 tablespoon peanut oil
6 cups of chicken stock
400g. can of tinned tomatoes with juices
2 bay leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
2 boneless chicken breast, cut into 1cm. wide strips
4 spring onions, sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Preheat the oven to 180°c.

Using half the oil, brush 1 side of the tortillas with oil then stack them and cut them in half. Stack the halves and cut slice into 5mm. strips. Spread the strips on a non-stick oven tray and bake until they are light golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack and cool.

Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add the bay leaf, garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and sauté gently until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken strips and toss in the hot pan until the chicken has changed colour and is opaque. Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in the spring onions, coriander and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve the soup in deep bowls with tortilla strips. Serve some Picco di Gallo (recipe follows) for a true Mexican experience.

Serves 4-6.

I take a box of chicken stock and simmer it with garlic, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, bird peppers, scallions and cilantro.

It makes a light flavorful soup to eat on it's own or to serve as a base for Tom Kar Gai or Tom Yum soup.

You've come to the right place!

Avocado Cilantro Bisque
8 Scallions
1/2 c Fresh cilantro leaves
2 Cloves garlic
1 large Avocado
1 1/2 c Plain yogurt
1/2 c Buttermilk
1/4 c Water
2 tb Lime juice
1/2 ts Curry powder
Ground red pepper to taste
Sliced avocado for garnish

1.In a food processor, combine scallions, cilantro and garlic; process until finely chopped.
2.Add avocado and process until smooth. Add yogurt, buttermilk, water, lime juice, curry powder and red pepper; process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, until well chilled. Garnish with sliced avocado.

Cream of Cilantro
3 c Plain yogurt
2 c Cilantro leaves
1 c Half and half
1/2 c Chopped green onion
1 tb Minced fresh parsley
3 c Chicken broth
Cilantro sprigs for garnish
Tortilla chips, crushed, for garnish
Sour cream for garnish

1.Blend yogurt, cilantro, half and half, onion and parsley in a processor until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in broth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to mingle.
2.Best served chilled, but can also be heated VERY GENTLY over low heat - heat slowly or the yogurt will curdle.

Black Bean and Cilantro Chili
1/4 c Dry sherry
1 tb Olive oil
2 c Onion, chopped
1/2 c Celery, chopped
1/2 c Carrots, chopped
1/2 c Red bell pepper, chopped
4 c Cooked black beans
2 c Chicken or vegetable stock
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 c Plum tomatoes, chopped
2 ts Ground cumin
4 ts Chili powder
1/2 ts Dried oregano
1/3 c Chopped fresh cilantro
2 tb Honey
2 tb Tomato paste
MJ cheese for garnish
Tortilla chips for garnish
Orange segments for garnish

1.In large heavy pot over medium heat, combine sherry and oil and heat to simmering. Add onions and saute 8-10 minutes. Add celery, carrots and bell pepper and saute 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
2.Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 45-60 minutes. Mixture should be thick, with all water absorbed.
3.Serve soup warm in bowls with a platter of garnishes.

Very small, hot peppers, sometimes referred to as Thai bird chilies. They are usually quite hot, but with a very nice flavor.

jennyema said:
I take a box of chicken stock and simmer it with garlic, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, bird peppers, scallions and cilantro.

It makes a light flavorful soup to eat on it's own or to serve as a base for Tom Kar Gai or Tom Yum soup.

Jenny where do you get kaffir lime leaves around here? I am guessing you are going to say Super 88 (I have yet to go there).

Bird chillies are also called birds-eye chillies.

Kaffir lime leaves are great. I have taken to using them to replace lime juice/zest in all savoury dishes since they are so cheap compared to limes, even if they have a different sort of lime taste. However, in something like a dip or accompaniament (like a coriander/mint and lime raita) it is best to prepare a day or so before to let the leaves impart their flavours since they do not have any juice. Of course in dessert dishes lime leaves may not be that useful :P.

They also last a hell of a long time, and still remain as fresh and tasty as the day you bought them due to them not being a fragile leaf.

GB said:
jennyema said:

Jenny where do you get kaffir lime leaves around here? I am guessing you are going to say Super 88 (I have yet to go there).

Yeppers. You can buy them fresh or dry at the 88. If you are heading to one of their stores, I suggest the South Bay one on I93. It has a bigger selection than the other stores.

This is going to sound silly, but the next time you go out for hot wings, buy a ton more than you want to eat. Take them home, and throw in the extra carrot and celery sticks you didn't eat, an onion, a lot of garlic, and stew them for quite awhile. Drain, and taste for salt and heat. Throw in a few shrimp, and a hand full of cilantro. Voila! A great hot & sour soup!

By the way, I always learned that coriander is the seed, the spice. Cilantro or Chinese/Asian Parsley is the herb, the green part. But I'm a big believer in going with the flow -- whatever people call something locally is the lingo I go with. When I first moved to Hawaii, the taste of cilantro was one I ran into at all of the "delicatessens" (actually Asian cafeterias) that I DID NOT like. Even though I grew up out west, with tons of Mexican food, I'd not tasted it there. It took me awhile, but I grew to love the flavor. You can always make a great fresh salsa -- tomatoes or tomatillos, onions, garlic, lime juice and tons of cilantro.

just for accuracy, cilantro is the green leafy plant, coriander is the seed of the plant.

i make a soup like jennyema posted, called tom yum. great with shrimp and a handful of chopped cilantro on top.
i also make chicken noodle soup using a whole skinless chicken (quartered), diced onion and celery, thin egg noodles, and a mix of parsely and cilantro. it's a nice change from regular ol' chicken noodle soup.

In England and Australia it's all called coriander, just to add to the confusion! I love the seeds but I am not so sure about the leaves, I use it anyway, and sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't. Women huh? Can never make up our minds!

Kyles is right! In the UK we call the seeds and the leaves 'coriander'... I love to add it to anything that has an Asian twist....

Next to basil, cilantro is one of my favorite herbs to use in recipes.

Southwest White Chili

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
¼ cup chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
1 can (15 oz.) Progresso white kidney beans (Cannellini), drained
1 can (15 oz.) S&W Premium small (lightly seasoned beans), drained
2 green onions sliced
Monterey jack cheese

Southwest Spice Blend

1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon oregano leaves
½ teaspoon cilantro leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Mix together in a small bowl the Southwest Spice Blend. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and chopped onion; cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir in broth, green chilies, and Southwest Spice Blend; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in beans. Simmer 5 minutes. Top with green onions. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, if desired.

The leafy part also called coriander in asian cusines. But in the US everyone is right that the leafy stuff is cilantro and the seeds are coriander. And they taste entirely different.

I made cuban black bean soup yesterday using about a half a bunch of cilantro in it and the other half chopped as a garnish.

Back
Top Bottom