Spicy Lentil Soup
My 100th post! And to celebrate, I'm posting another recipe! So here it is, a delicious (if I may say so myself) spicy lentil soup!
Cooking oil spray
125g red lentils
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
2tbsp tomato puree (paste)
1 litre veg stock
350g can sweetcorn, drained
Salt and pepper
To serve (optional)
Low - fat natural (unsweetened) yogurt
Chopped fresh parsley
Warmed pitta bread
1. Rinse the red lentils in cold water. Drain well and put to one side.
2. Spray a pan with the oil and fry the onion and garlic gently until softened but not browned.
3. Stir in the cumin, coriander, garam masala, tomato puree and 4 tbsp of the stock. Mix well and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
4. Add the lentils and pour in the remaining stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour until the lentils are tender and the soup thickened. Stir in the sweetcorn and heat through for 5 minutes. Season well.
5. Ladle into warmed soup bowls and top each with a spoonful of yogurt and a sprinkling of parsley. Serve with warmed pitta bread.
Serves 4. Calorie wise, around 155 per serving. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!