Spicy Lentil Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kezlehan

Senior Cook
My 100th post! And to celebrate, I'm posting another recipe! So here it is, a delicious (if I may say so myself) spicy lentil soup!

Ingredients

Cooking oil spray
125g red lentils
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
2tbsp tomato puree (paste)
1 litre veg stock
350g can sweetcorn, drained
Salt and pepper

To serve (optional)
Low - fat natural (unsweetened) yogurt
Chopped fresh parsley
Warmed pitta bread

Method
1. Rinse the red lentils in cold water. Drain well and put to one side.
2. Spray a pan with the oil and fry the onion and garlic gently until softened but not browned.
3. Stir in the cumin, coriander, garam masala, tomato puree and 4 tbsp of the stock. Mix well and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
4. Add the lentils and pour in the remaining stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour until the lentils are tender and the soup thickened. Stir in the sweetcorn and heat through for 5 minutes. Season well.
5. Ladle into warmed soup bowls and top each with a spoonful of yogurt and a sprinkling of parsley. Serve with warmed pitta bread.

Serves 4. Calorie wise, around 155 per serving. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Recipe sounds like a winner - I'll bet it smells great while it simmers. Thanks for posting it.

It really does smell good! Cooking it tomorow :) And you're welcome I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom