"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Head Chef

The yellow split peas i get are of the Goya brand. Sometimes Goya products are in a separate are of the store ( sometimes in ethinc areas). You may try checking the goya product section if you cant locate them where the other dried beans and grains are.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Mr. Greenjeans

If you are looking for a healthy alternative to pork, you can sub smoked turkey necks. You can get them at most larger grocery stores. They have a excellent flavor and come out similar to smoked hocks, just no pork fat.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Cook

This is going to sound funny, I like split pea soup, but do not really like peas. If they are mixed in with something, I can eat a few but usually try to pick them out.

Carol
Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Sous Chef

When my 7 yo dd had to list all of her favorites for her English class (she's in foreign language immersion, but has one hour of English each day), she listed Split Pea Soup as her favorite food.

I use a few slices of bacon, render the fat, and soften the onions and carrots in that before adding anything else. And I use good chicken stock instead of water. A bay leaf and a touch of cayenne. Can't beat it for a day like today. So rich and creamy... without any cream! Yum!! I'm going to make some today, now!!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
If you are looking for a healthy alternative to pork, you can sub smoked turkey necks. You can get them at most larger grocery stores. They have a excellent flavor and come out similar to smoked hocks, just no pork fat.

Split Pea is a soup that I make meatless. I just use bay leaves, rosemary, salt, pepper and a pinch of thyme. I cook it until it is thick, mashing the beans.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
Head Chef

I make a meatless split pea soup too. Sometimes ill add a drop or two of liquid smoke to give it that smokiness taste.

Tags
None