"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Nice looking soup, Steve.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Thanks all. I actually had some of the leftovers for breakfast this morning.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Just bumped this up, since it was mentioned in another thread.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks for that recipe. I've saved it and will make it sometime soon. Yum!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Thanks all. I actually had some of the leftovers for breakfast this morning.
I'm surprised you had leftovers.

Wouldn't have been any here.

Looks good.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
Master Chef

Steve, I apologize for not reporting on this recipe that I've used more than once.

It's outstanding and every bit as good as my Mom's was.

This is a real keeper just as written folks!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Steve, any particular oysters you prefer?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Having this hearty soup on New Year's Day has been a tradition in our family for a number of years. If you are unable to find bottled clam juice, you can substitute chicken or vegetable stock.

Oyster Stew

Ingredients:
  • 2 pints shucked oysters in their liquor
  • 8 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 8 oz bottle clam juice
  • 3 cups half & half
  • 2 or 3 good shakes of Tabasco
  • 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper
Preparation:
  1. Strain the oysters, reserving the liquor. Rinse the oysters under cold water and set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a small dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook the roux for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. Add the shallots, celery, and garlic, and cook for a few minutes longer. Continue stirring the entire time.
  4. Add the white wine, clam juice, and reserved oyster liquor; stir to make a paste. Cook for a couple of minutes to burn off the alcohol. Gradually add the half and half, a cup at a time. Continue stirring and don't let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
  5. Add Tabasco, old bay, and nutmeg. Stir in oysters and cook gently over low heat until the oysters are cooked through and beginning to curl around the edges.
  6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sounds delicious and would love to try it but I've only had oysters once and was extremely ill. Several of us shared a huge platter of them in France some years ago and I was the only one affected so possibly I'm allergic so won't risk it again. A shame really as I really liked them.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Steve, any particular oysters you prefer?
To tell you the truth, I don't know what kind are usually in the pre-shucked containers. But if you're cooking them, I don't know if it really matters all that much.

As far as raw oysters, my personal favorite among the more common varieties are malpeques. There was also one variety I had a few years ago that I wish I could remember the name of. All I remember is that they were from the Chesapeake area. They were kind of on the small side and delicious! I haven't seen or had another one since.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I don't know what kind are usually in the pre-shucked containers. But if you're cooking them, I don't know if it really matters all that much.

As far as raw oysters, my personal favorite among the more common varieties are malpeques. There was also one variety I had a few years ago that I wish I could remember the name of. All I remember is that they were from the Chesapeake area. They were kind of on the small side and delicious! I haven't seen or had another one since.
Blue Points maybe or Chesapeake?

Tags
oysters, recipe, stew

Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew Having this hearty soup on New Year's Day has been a tradition in our family for a number of years. If you are unable to find bottled clam juice, you can substitute chicken or vegetable stock. [SIZE=3][B]Oyster Stew[/B][/SIZE] [B]Ingredients:[/B] [LIST] [*]2 pints shucked oysters in their liquor [*]8 tbsp butter [*]1/2 cup flour [*]2 shallots, finely chopped [*]4 stalks celery, finely chopped [*]1 clove garlic, minced [*]1/2 cup dry white wine [*]1 8 oz bottle clam juice [*]3 cups half & half [*]2 or 3 good shakes of Tabasco [*]1/2 tsp old bay seasoning [*]1/8 tsp ground nutmeg [*]salt and pepper [/LIST] [B]Preparation:[/B] [LIST=1] [*]Strain the oysters, reserving the liquor. Rinse the oysters under cold water and set aside. [*]Melt the butter in a small dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook the roux for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. [*]Add the shallots, celery, and garlic, and cook for a few minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender. Continue stirring the entire time. [*]Add the white wine, clam juice, and reserved oyster liquor; stir to make a paste. Cook for a couple of minutes to burn off the alcohol. Gradually add the half and half, a cup at a time. Continue stirring and don't let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. [*]Add Tabasco, old bay, and nutmeg. Stir in oysters and cook gently over low heat until the oysters are cooked through and beginning to curl around the edges. [*]Season with salt and pepper to taste. [/LIST] [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/SteveKroll/oyster_stew_zpsa2e28e40.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews