Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Chesapeake Bay is a big area ;) and oysters from different parts of it taste different. Here near the mouth of the Bay, oysters are more briny because they're nearer to the ocean. And oysters from the rivers are less briny and more sweet.

I'm not an oyster fan but I've lived here long enough to learn this much :)

Where does one usually find shucked oysters?
I've almost always bought shucked oysters in the supermarket. If the supermarket doesn't have them, dedicated fish sellers almost surely will. The problem is that they only appear for very brief periods in December and January, and then, POOF! They are gone. :LOL:

Over the years I've lived in Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, Nevada, and Minnesota, and have never had problems finding them around the Christmas-New Years week. But I don't know if availability is the same in Canadian supermarkets.

So, shucked oysters would be fresh? Or would they be frozen? I assume they are raw, is that correct?
They are fresh and raw.

Last edited:
Those online ones cost enough that a batch of Steve's stew would cost >$40, just for the oysters. Is that the sort of price range that is normal?

Blue Points maybe or Chesapeake?

Definitely not Blue Points. Blue Points are the most common that we get in Minnesota. The ones I enjoyed.... I want to say they were called "saint" something. But I don't remember. When the waiter rattled off the names (before tasting them) I wasn't paying close attention.

Steve, if you purchase them in the shell, why can't you steam them open and then add them and their liquor to the rest of the stew. You would just have to strain their liquor and the steaming broth through a cheesecloth. Like you do if you are making clam chowder. Sure would be easier than trying to shuck enough of them for the stew. :angel:

We were in Seattle on my birthday trip just before Christmas and we pigged out on some of the most wonderful oysters I've ever tasted in my life, so don't forget the Pacific North West for some really outstanding oysters!
Down here, we get fresh oysters with the liquor in jars in the supermarket meat department, perfect for making oyster stew this time of year.

Last edited:
We were in Seattle on my birthday trip just before Christmas and we pigged out on some of the most wonderful oysters I've ever tasted in my life, so don't forget the Pacific North West for some really outstanding oysters!
Down here, we get fresh oysters with the liquor in jars in the supermarket meat department, perfect for making oyster stew this time of year.

I'll never forget the PNW oysters I had during a working trip to Vancouver, BC.:yum: I had a 1/2 dozen varieties, if I remember correctly.

I'll never forget the PNW oysters I had during a working trip to Vancouver, BC.:yum: I had a 1/2 dozen varieties, if I remember correctly.

Craig, have you ever been to Boston and tried the Oyster Bar at the Union House? They have people standing waiting for a stool to become available. They serve mostly Blue Point Oysters. :angel:

Craig, have you ever been to Boston and tried the Oyster Bar at the Union House? They have people standing waiting for a stool to become available. They serve mostly Blue Point Oysters. :angel:
No, I have been to the ACME Oyster House in the French Quarter. Had many a raw oyster there.

My girlfriend in Texas, always put them on the grill while in the shells. Oh so good!!! :angel:
If making stew or gumbo is your objective, cooking oysters to get them to open, puts them into the over cooked realm when used in a stew/gumbo and cooked again.;)

No, I have been to the ACME Oyster House in the French Quarter. Had many a raw oyster there.

If making stew or gumbo is your objective, cooking oysters to get them to open, puts them into the over cooked realm when used in a stew/gumbo and cooked again.;)

When I do it with the clams, I put them in at the very last minute. They have already cooked when steamed. So to keep them from becoming tough, I add them to the hot chowder without any additional heat being applied. I would think you could do the same wit the oysters. :angel:

When I do it with the clams, I put them in at the very last minute. They have already cooked when steamed. So to keep them from becoming tough, I add them to the hot chowder without any additional heat being applied. I would think you could do the same wit the oysters. :angel:

Clams tend to have very clean shells when compared to oysters. Even if scrubbed well, you will never get all the additional "seasoning" off the oyster shell.;) I choose to control the seasonings myself and leave the mystery seasonings the oyster shell carries out.:ermm:

Wouldn't adding cooked oysters at the last minute make it stew with oysters instead of oyster stew? The oyster flavour wouldn't get a chance to permeate the stew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom