Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been buying fresh and shucking them my self.

I love oysters and sometimes buy fresh ones this time of year.
My problem is opening them.
I do have a shucking knife, but it is still so hard to do.
Every time I buy whole fresh, I always say never again. That going out for them is much easier.
I have watched countless YouTube videos on shucking with little success.
Maybe its the knife? Maybe its the oysters?

Steve, if you purchase them in the shell, why can't you steam them open and then add them and their liquor to the rest of the stew. You would just have to strain their liquor and the steaming broth through a cheesecloth. Like you do if you are making clam chowder. Sure would be easier than trying to shuck enough of them for the stew. :angel:

I like the idea, but I think it might over cook them. I sure could use some help as you can see from my post above.

I love oysters and sometimes buy fresh ones this time of year.
My problem is opening them.
I do have a shucking knife, but it is still so hard to do.
Every time I buy whole fresh, I always say never again. That going out for them is much easier.
I have watched countless YouTube videos on shucking with little success.
Maybe its the knife? Maybe its the oysters?

I like the idea, but I think it might over cook them. I sure could use some help as you can see from my post above.

The secret to steaming crustaceans is to remove them from the heat the second you see the shells open. Then you drain the steaming water through a cheesecloth. Also the liquor from the animals themselves. It only takes five minutes at the most. The smaller the animals, the shorter time required. It helps if you have a glass cover so you can shut the heat off immediately. Don't leave the stove. Stand there and watch them closely. Have your tongs in hand. Have a platter or tray close by so you can put the oysters on them as you remove them from the pan. If you remove them immediately from the pan as soon as you see them starting to open and pour their liquor through the cheesecloth, they will still be half raw. They will finish cooking in the heat of the broth of the chowder and it will be flavored from the liquor and steaming water. Make sure you collect every drop of their liquor, as that their essence of flavor.

Did I make this understandable.? :angel:

Once you find the right spot at the hinge, it becomes second nature. Towels are as important as the knife. One to set the oyster on and one over the top to hold the oyster and protect your "holding" hand. The "knife" is actually a prying and scraping tool, IMO.

I love oyster stew. I've always found pints of shucked Willapointe oysters in the fishy section of the meats counter, or if they have a fish department, I can usually ask and get them.

I got another pint today, (YAY!) and some celery and 2 quarts of half and half.

The Willapointe oysters says on the lid they are extra small, but in my experience there are a few giant oysters inside. No matter, they always taste good. The liquid included is kind of bland, but I will prick or cut up the larger oysters to get a good broth going.

I usually make the base, add the oysters then remove from the heat and put in the fridge overnight to let the oyster flavor get permeated.

The next day, I bring it all up to a simmer until the oysters are frilly then pig out.

Once I've used up the oysters, if I have some base left, I put it in the freezer to add to the next batch. This time, I ran low on food and ate it (YUM). Hopefully I'll have some left this time.

Last edited:
Once you find the right spot at the hinge, it becomes second nature. Towels are as important as the knife. One to set the oyster on and one over the top to hold the oyster and protect your "holding" hand. The "knife" is actually a prying and scraping tool, IMO.

I hear you Craig.
It seems it might be the oysters as I sometimes have a very hard time determining the hinge.
When I do find it, I am successful, but it is still hard to do.
I think this is something that requires experience. The more you shuck, the better you get at it.

Also sometimes the oysters in SC are attached to each other. This really complicates the opening.

Are fresh oysters in those plastic containers in liquor? Or should they be drained?

The secret to steaming crustaceans is to remove them from the heat the second you see the shells open. Then you drain the steaming water through a cheesecloth. Also the liquor from the animals themselves. It only takes five minutes at the most. The smaller the animals, the shorter time required. It helps if you have a glass cover so you can shut the heat off immediately. Don't leave the stove. Stand there and watch them closely. Have your tongs in hand. Have a platter or tray close by so you can put the oysters on them as you remove them from the pan. If you remove them immediately from the pan as soon as you see them starting to open and pour their liquor through the cheesecloth, they will still be half raw. They will finish cooking in the heat of the broth of the chowder and it will be flavored from the liquor and steaming water. Make sure you collect every drop of their liquor, as that their essence of flavor.

Did I make this understandable.? :angel:

Yes, Addie. Perfectly understandable. Thank You. :)

Are fresh oysters in those plastic containers in liquor? Or should they be drained?
They are in liquor (or more precisely, oyster juice - not to be confused with booze ;)).

If you are making the stew recipe at the start of the thread you definitely do not want to toss it out. That's where all the flavor is.

What I usually do is strain the oysters over a bowl, to reserve the liquor. Then I rinse the oysters under cold water and pick through them to remove any bits of shell. Nothing worse than eating creamy soup and biting into a piece of shell.

Last edited:
I hear you Craig.
It seems it might be the oysters as I sometimes have a very hard time determining the hinge.
When I do find it, I am successful, but it is still hard to do.
I think this is something that requires experience. The more you shuck, the better you get at it.

Also sometimes the oysters in SC are attached to each other. This really complicates the opening.

That liquor is the natural juices of the oyster and have a lot of flavor. Flavor to be savored. :angel:

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

This is some good stuff.

Kathleen thought it would be a good idea to make, and I have to so say I would encourage her to do so again.

Did I mention... :yum:

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

This is some good stuff.

Kathleen thought it would be a good idea to make, and I have to so say I would encourage her to do so again.

Did I mention... :yum:

I made it as written except I forgot to buy clam juice so I used a small can of chopped clams. The oyster flavor was still prominent. Delicious. :chef: Thank you for sharing this recipe, Steve!

I made oyster stew yesterday, with 2 quarts of half and half. I ate the last of the oysters for breakfast. Fortunately I was able to save a couple of containers of that wonderful broth in the freezer. Hopefully, at least one will make the base of the next go around, but I wouldn't bet on it. Yummy, good stuff.

That liquor is the natural juices of the oyster and have a lot of flavor. Flavor to be savored. :angel:

This I know Addie. I love raw oysters and the brine as we call it here is very important.
When I order them in a restaurant, I always remind them in a joking way not to spill any of the brine when they shuck them.

I just had a dozen last Friday night. They were excellent.

They are in liquor (or more precisely, oyster juice - not to be confused with booze ;)).

If you are making the stew recipe at the start of the thread you definitely do not want to toss it out. That's where all the flavor is.

What I usually do is strain the oysters over a bowl, to reserve the liquor. Then I rinse the oysters under cold water and pick through them to remove any bits of shell. Nothing worse than eating creamy soup and biting into a piece of shell.

When pronouncing the juice of seafood, it is pronounced with a French accent. Lickeur with the accent on the second syllable. :angel:

I've always called it liquor. Also for the pot liquor which happens when cooking collard greens. YUM!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom