"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I hear ya on the veggie stock. I started making it at work a few weeks ago (I'm the de facto Saucier at work). As long as I have a few quarts of veggie stock, I can whip up a bunch of different sauces and/or soups in a hurry.

I usually end up making a batch of some kind of stock at work every few days. When I do, the Sous Chef usually ends up wandering through my area, and takes a big SNIFFFFF when he walks by my stove. Then, about 30 minutes later, he'll steal/borrow/utilize some of my stock for a dish he needs to make for a catering function.

When I was typing most of this last night, the last of my beef stock was in the freezer in ice cube trays. I made a Pot Roast last night. Homemade stock in the crockpot to braise in, plus the juices from the meat. I had to "hurry" things along, as I didn't get the roast into the crockpot until after noon, so when it came time to add the veggies, the veggies just went into a soup pot, into which I poured most of the broth from the roast, covered, and simmered until done. That broth, as well as the broth from the roast, were used to make gravy. I only had one problem. I'm out of cornstarch!!! Why me?!?!?!?! I improved and made some roux, but since I don't normally use roux to thicken that much fluid, I ended up making way to much roux, and once I realized what had happened, all the broth was in the pan and turned into a pasty gravy. I ended up having to use some of my frozen stock, and a little water, to thin it down. Seasoned with salt and pepper, and it was MMMMMMMM MMMMM Good!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Master Chef

When I make broth or stock from a meat or carcass source, I leave it in the pan, throw it all in the fridge, and leave it until the next day. The liquid has gelled and the fat solidified in a big chunk on top. Wince it's in the pan, which has a very wide top, I just remove the pan lid and lift off the fat. I get 99% fat-free liquid this way.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None