Stracciatella Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
This has always been one of my favorite "light" Italian soups, one that I often order if it's offered in Italian restaurants. Over the years I've tried many recipes for it, changing things here & there, & yesterday I finally developed a final recipe that I (& hubby) really really liked.

On it's own & served in large shallow soup plates, this makes an elegant light starter to an Italian meal - in my opinion particularly if the menu involves some type of roasted or braised poultry, or other Northern Italian cuisine. However, adding in your favorite tortellini or ravioli makes it a wonderful lunch or supper on its own, accompanied by a green salad & a good crusty bread.

One of the best things about it? From start to finish you can have it on the table in about 20 minutes tops!!

STRACCIATELLA SOUP

2 cartons Swanson’s chicken broth
4 cloves of garlic, peeled, halved lengthwise, & smashed

Bag of baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 eggs, beaten
Zest & juice from half a lemon
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring broth to a boil & add garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, & spinach. Lower heat a little & simmer brightly for about 5 minutes. Add ½ cup parmesan to beaten eggs & slowly pour mixture into simmering broth, stirring gently. Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste & serve with extra parmesan on the side.

Variation: In a separate pot of boiling water, cook some of your favorite ravioli or tortellini to the al dente stage, drain, & add to each bowl of soup. If using fresh pasta you could probably cook it right in the broth, but dried or frozen work better if cooked separately & added to the soup right before serving.

Last edited:
Your soup recipe sounds lovely Breezy,
with fall in the air, it's sure to please my family..Thank you.

kadesma:)

Oooooooo...a definite keeper here. Thanks Breezy. I am a soup a holic and love to try new ones. I'm addicted to Italian Wedding soup and this looks similar. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks for the recipe, BC. I see you are from Culpeper. We were there a couple of months ago, where we had an unfortunate incident involving our vehicle and another car. DH was ticketed for failure to yield. A long story. He paid the fine, our car is being repaired this week and all is well. No one hurt, thankfully.

I am definitely going to make your soup. It sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom