Stuffed Pepper Soup Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
SO I was at an Italian restaurant the other day, when I asked the waitress what the soup of the day was ( I love having soup as part of a meal, although my wife thinks I'm crazy when I have soup on 90 F days).

The Waitress replied Italian Wedding Soup, and Stuffed Pepper. She didn't follow the Stuffed Pepper with the word 'Soup', so I wasn't sure if she just meant a stuffed pepper, or stuffed pepper soup.

Anyway, my mind immediately started to try and figure out , if it were a soup, what would it be like. I assumed there would be meat in it, so I just kinda let it go and did not ask any further questions.

As my dinner was being served , a couple was seated at a table near us by another server. I then heard the question ' what's the soup of the day?' and their server did refer to it as 'Stuffed Pepper Soup', but did not describe it.

I almost called the waitress over again, just to describe the soup to me. I figured even if I can't eat it for vegetarian reasons, I'd still get an idea of what it was like and maybe vegetarianize it at home, but I didn't.

So now, sitting here at 5am in another state while my wife sleeps, my mind is running thinking about a stuffed pepper soup.

This leads to my questions:

Is a stuffed pepper soup something that is commonly served at an Italian restaurant? Ive never seen or heard of it before, I'm thinking maybe the chef is just being creative and going out of the box a bit.

Is it something someone here has tried and made before? I'd be curious to hear about it rather than just doing a random search and finding thousands of recipes. Especially one that would be considered an Italian version.

Never heard of it before. I'd check the restaurant's website to see if the menu describes the soup.

Never heard of it before. I'd check the restaurant's website to see if the menu describes the soup.

That was my first line of thinking. Unfortunately they only list their soups as "Soup of the day".

The food was really good at this place,I should have at least asked for a description. Oh well, Ill probably be back in this area in the fall, so I'll ask then.

I just took a quick look at several recipes for this and they all look pretty similar: ground beef, rice, onions, bell peppers, garlic, canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, seasonings and some kind of stock. It's deconstructed stuffed bell peppers with additional liquid - just what I would expect [emoji2]

I have never seen it at an Italian restaurant, and I associate stuffed peppers with eastern Europe, not Italy.

Last edited:
Stuffed Pepper Soup is VERY common in Pittsburgh, but not necessarily in Italian Restaurants. I like it, because I like stuffed peppers. This won't be very popular around here but I make a jiffy Stuffed Pepper Soup sometimes for lunch. I brown ground beef with chopped onion and green bell peppers and add it to Campbells Tomato Rice Soup.

Stuffed Pepper Soup is VERY common in Pittsburgh, but not necessarily in Italian Restaurants. I like it, because I like stuffed peppers. This won't be very popular around here but I make a jiffy Stuffed Pepper Soup sometimes for lunch. I brown ground beef with chopped onion and green bell peppers and add it to Campbells Tomato Rice Soup.

That may explain it, since i wasn't terribly far from Pittsburgh.

It's so dang hot here, I can hardly think of soup but love the sound of this for later.

Kgirl, that recipe looks good, and also the picture. I like the thought of orzo in it instead of rice.

Im a 365 day a year soup person.
My wife always asks me how I can eat hot soup during the summer ( as she's sipping her coffee).

Im always looking for something new, and when they mentioned the stuffed pepper soup, I knew it was something I wanted to be able to recreate at home . i was just stupid enough not to ask them to describe it.

Im looking forward to trying to make it.

It's so dang hot here, I can hardly think of soup but love the sound of this for later.

Kgirl, that recipe looks good, and also the picture. I like the thought of orzo in it instead of rice.

Mahalo K!

Im a 365 day a year soup person.
My wife always asks me how I can eat hot soup during the summer ( as she's sipping her coffee).

Im always looking for something new, and when they mentioned the stuffed pepper soup, I knew it was something I wanted to be able to recreate at home . i was just stupid enough not to ask them to describe it.

Im looking forward to trying to make it.

Larry, it's a really delicious soup and I'm sure if anyone could make it Vegetarian/Vegan, it'd be you!
If it were me, I'd replace the Ground Beef with something like Morning Star and then go along with the rest of it, well, Veggie broth from TJ's is REALLY good, I use that alot if I don't have my own Chicken Stock.
Also, I'm with you, I love soup any time ;)

Mahalo K!

Larry, it's a really delicious soup and I'm sure if anyone could make it Vegetarian/Vegan, it'd be you!
If it were me, I'd replace the Ground Beef with something like Morning Star and then go along with the rest of it, well, Veggie broth from TJ's is REALLY good, I use that alot if I don't have my own Chicken Stock.
Also, I'm with you, I love soup any time ;)

Usually morning start is my go to substitute, and it usually works out well.
can't wait to give it a try.

"I'm going with it being created by an old Polish babcia (bob-shah) who messed up while cooking, putting too much liquid into the stuffed pepper dish. What to do? Oh, add more liquid and call it soup! Winner! "

There are times when the family is having chili for dinner, and Im in the mood for soup, Ill just take my portion, add a little more tomato base to kinda ' soup it up' a bit, along with a few other alterations ( I like mine spicier than the others ), and make myself a chili soup.

"I'm going with it being created by an old Polish babcia (bob-shah) who messed up while cooking, putting too much liquid into the stuffed pepper dish. What to do? Oh, add more liquid and call it soup! Winner! "

There are times when the family is having chili for dinner, and Im in the mood for soup, Ill just take my portion, add a little more tomato base to kinda ' soup it up' a bit, along with a few other alterations ( I like mine spicier than the others ), and make myself a chili soup.
The broth is always my favorite part. I make my chili, beans etc.. with more liquid than it calls for!

Deconstructed stuffed pepper soup sounds so good! I saved this thread to remind me about it this fall - I need a new soup recipe to play with and since I'm a fan of stuffed bells, this sounds like a great new soup. :yum:

I like to use "colored" peppers, not the regular Green Bells
I feel like the yellows, reds and orange colored bell peppers
taste WAY better than the less expensive Green Bell Peppers
I like them better, too. They're sweeter because they're more ripe. Unripe fruit tends to be bitter. And of course, brightly colored bell peppers are prettier.

Ya know, since moving to the "mainland", Bell Peppers are so much less expensive and I've also found a trick.
When they are at their peak of season, I buy very large amounts (we're talkin' dozens at a time), wash them, core and slice them up and then IQF them on a sheet pan in the deep freeze.
I divvy them up in a marked (6 peppers to a bag) gallon-sized zip-top bags for later in the year, aka Fall/Winter Soup/Stoup/Stew Season!
I have several recipes that call for Bells and I go for the Reds, heavy for their size and of course, no blemishes ;)

I do the same with multicolored bells too, kgirl. (except a smaller amount, I don't have the freezer space for dozens!) ;) It's so nice to be able to grab a handful of pre-chopped bells for so many dishes. Love them. I do the same with onions and jalapenos, too.

sorry to ask this here but hope people are reading in real time-hubby and I are having a debate:
rearding stuffed bell peppers-now this is serious!
do you:
1. eat the bell pepper
2. use the bell pepper simply as a bowl/vessel for innards
3. eat the insides' contents and leave the lonely bell to the waste can
4. eat insides and outsides enjoying the whole of it all

Back
Top Bottom