Sweet Italian Sausage Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol-blue

Sous Chef
Enjoy this warm hearty soup on a cold day! I like to use Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage.
Enjoy! Debbie

SWEET ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP

img_542987_0_d21fab92079df6325d71f1185b7d2b48.jpg

1 pound(s) ITALIAN SAUSAGE; Sweet.
2 can(s) (10 ounce each) ROTEL DICED TOMATOES AND GREEN CHILIES; Original.
4 cup(s) WATER*
4 teaspoon(s) BEEF BASE
4 cup(s) POTATOES; Cubed.
1 cup(s) CELERY; Chopped.
1 small ONION; Chopped.
2 teaspoon(s) GARLIC; Minced.
2 cup(s) CORN; Frozen.
1/2 teaspoon(s) OREGANO
4 tablespoon(s) ITALIAN PARSLEY; Fresh Chopped, Optional.
1 teaspoon(s) SALT
1/2 teaspoon(s) BLACK PEPPER
_____

In a large pot; brown the sausage, garlic and onion.
Drain off any fat.
Add water, beef base, Rotel tomatoes, celery, corn and potatoes.
Bring to a boil, cover pan and reduce heat and simmer for about 10 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are done.
Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.

*Can use beef stock in place of the water and beef base if desired.
_____

Oh man! That looks good!

Can I ask what beef base is? I don't know the difference between base, stock, broth... all those cooking terms....

Thanks! Even though I'll have to change it a bit for us by subbing in chicken broth & sweet Italian "turkey" sausage, I'm sure it will be just as delicious.

Oh - one question: Is the sausage in the casing & sliced, or out of the casing & crumbled?

Uncle Bob, Take your time and enjoy your Bloody Mary. I'm in no hurry as jkath has not arrived yet either. :)

pacanis, I get mine at Costco and it's McCormick brand. I have seen other brands in the grocery store. It's in the soup isle usually next to the chicken stock. It a paste and you add water to make stock. It comes in beef or chicken.

Sounds good BreezyCooking. The sausage is in the casing, I remove the casing and just crumble it and fry it like hamburger.

pacanis, I get mine at Costco and it's McCormick brand. I have seen other brands in the grocery store. It's in the soup isle usually next to the chicken stock. It a paste and you add water to make stock. It comes in beef or chicken.

I see, so you can add beef flavor without all the liquid associated with broth. Thanks :)

I love this soup-- I make it very often but kinda forgot about it lately been making alot of Italian wedding soup. Just the mood i'm in I guess
I change it up sometimes, instead of the potatoe I used eithier ditalini or elbow macaroni.
Once I was in the mood for it and started making it and what I'm out of tomatoes, so I had a jar of Tomato basil jar of spegetti sauce and then added chix broth to thin it out. It worked out great. Didn't use the whole jar.
then switch the corn with black beans,

Thanks ole blue for reminding me of this one, sounds like a pot of it going on the stove today

great stuff, ol' blue. thanks for the recipe! :chef: this looks delicious, and i think my family would eat this in buckets.

i'm with breezy, though, and i'm gonna sub in some sweet italian chicken sausage.

breezy, if you can find it, try "murray's all natural" brand sweet italian chicken sausage: http://murrayschicken.com/products.php?product=other

it's the closest that i can find to the real thing; real hand made, flavorful, no filler sausage. it's a little on the salty side for my taste, but you almost can't tell it's not real italian pork sausage.

ol' blue, i wish i could send you some of this, or the locally made italian pork sausage. johnsonville is tasty, but a row of giant, stainless steel machines extruding sausage to a little lady in a lab coat and hair net can't compare to a real hand made, chunky, herb-y sausage.

My wife is a big fan of Brunswick stew, bet she takes a quick shine to this one, at least once we get a new fridge and can go grocery shopping again! ;)
Thanks!

I sprinkle beef bullion granules on pot roast when I do it in the slow cooker. I never saw the paste before. I'll have to look for it. Plus, everytime I read "stock", I thought it was a form of broth, or "base", or is there even a difference between base and stock?
I'm learning though. It would be nice if there was a glossery of terms here, or maybe there is and I just haven't seen it. Lots of forums have an acronym section fore noobs.... It would be nice to be able to quickly see exactly what was being talked about... just like I'm learning that cuts of meat I've always called one thing are often referred to as something else.
I'm culinary disadvantaged :mellow: but contrary to popular belief, you can teach an old canid new tricks :)

pacanis, The granules are pretty much the same thing. Anytime a recipe calls for broth or even stock I just use the base and water.

Thanks for the link BuckyTom. While the stores around here do carry a number of interesting brands of both chicken & turkey sausages, unfortunately Murray's isn't one of them (yet). And I do agree with you that the artisinal brands are the best - but the big guys do also have their place in some recipes.

I'm thinking that since the sausage for this recipe is removed from the casing anyway, I'll pick up a 1-pound roll/package of Shady Brook Farm's Italian Turkey bulk sausage. I use this quite frequently in casing-free sausage recipes & it works very well. Makes a nice quick meat sauce for pasta.

letscook, I love Italian Wedding soup. Now I have to go make some. Thanks for reminding me of it.

buckytom, I would love to try that sausage. I did a dealer search for my area and there is no dealer in my area. I will keep an eye out for it in my travels though.Thanks for sharing!

Maverick2272, I love Brunswick stew. I hope you enjoy this soup. Good luck on the new refrigerator.

Thanks for posting this recipe. It was a huge hit!! One I'll definitely have again and again. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom