"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sweet taste in vegetable beef soup

I made a big pot of vegetable beef soup today and it has a sweet taste. Is there anything I can add to get rid of that sweet taste or at least calm it down?

Thanks,
Linda
Front Royal, VA

Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You want to be careful with additions to counteract the sweetness as they could change the flavor of your soup to something you really don;t care for.

What caused the sweetness?

You could try some chile pepper to introduce some heat, or some lemon.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I don't really know what caused the sweetness. The only thing I did different was add a little celery and a few carrots. Maybe tomorow night I'll try a little bit of lemon. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try and remember to post back how it goes.

Thanks again,
Linda
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Head Chef

To me it is the carrots primarily that add the sweetness, which I often like in soup.

But to each his/her own.

Onions do, but less so.

Agree with Andy, would add a bit of an acid, perhaps vinegar or lemon juice. First thing I thought of was a bit of hot sauce. Or perhaps a dash, just a dash or Worcestershire sauce.

Other tan making a whole bunch more that is not sweet and diluting it, which sounds like an unattractive idea to me, have no other suggestions.

Sorry.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
Head Chef

I hate to say this but meat gives off a sweet whang when it is going bad just like "blinky" milk. The meat/milk doesn't smell but it taste funny.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #6
Master Chef

lemon or vinegar would be my initial ingredient. maybe more salt or extra stock after that if that flavor wasn't what you're looking at.
did you caramelize your veggies?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

This perplexed me for a long time in soups and stews....The common denominator was always Carrots for me...They impart a "sweet" flavor that to me (IMO) I find distasteful. We will be doing Coq au Vin this week-end and the carrots will be par-boiled/drained and then added towards the end.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Yeah, lots of carrots will give the stew a sweet component. I actually like that component though... when it's balanced off with acid and salt. Mastering the balance of Sugar, Salt, and Acid is truely one of the hallmarks of a great cook.

Onions will also add sweetness to a dish, especially if you caramelized them first. I'm not a big fan of Vidalia/Maui's for this very reason unless I'm making a really sweet onion dish.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Add some cabbage, which I consider the "secret" ingredient to vegetable soup anyway. It is peppery. More celery will give some salt as will some parsley.
I know I don't know the degree of sweetness you are experiencing and everyone has their own likes, but I think a layer of "sweet" enhances most dishes, including meat/savory. And I don't eat desserts, so it is not a sweet tooth thing.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Executive Chef

you can pinch some herbs like thyme or marjoram rather than basil which is sweeter to help change the dynamic of soups.

Tags
None