Talk about your collagen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's not soup yet, but it is a great broth. My neighbor went to a butcher/meat processor and picked up a huge load of beef bones cheap. He takes the meat off of the bones and feeds it to his sled dogs. Well, he had more bones than he could use and so asked me to take some off of his hands. I inspected them. They were fresh and good, mostly leg bones with plenty of marrow, and bits of meat. I took about 15 lbs off of him and threw them into my caner pot with enough water to cover. I simmered them for about 7 hours, stirring about every 20 to 30 minutes. When done, I removed the bones and put the broth into gallon freezer bags. I cooled them in ice water and stuck them in the fridge. When I checked them, I expected to see a fair amount of fat hardened. But as I though about it, there was virtually no fat on the bones, plenty of gristle and some meat though. The liquid had gelled into what could best be described as rubber. I now have two gallons of ruberized beef broth.:mrgreen:

Yes, I know that collagen is what gelatin is made from. But I've never seen it quite so resilient as this is. It litterally bounce (still in the bag of course) when dropped onto the floor. This is gonna make great soup or sauces when liquefied and seasoned. I'm almost tempted to try and turn it into demi-glace; but that's another 5 hours or so worth of work. I may simply make it into a really good soup or sauce.

I mean, you oculd almost play basketball with this stuff.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I doubt that you could play basketball with a bag of your because the ball needs to be a sphere and I doubt a bag of your beef broth is a real sphere.

Having written that, I'm just a bit envious. I make a soup starting with beef bones and it's really good. What I like most about my homemade soup is the mouth feel all that collagen gives to the broth. Enjoy that stuff.

*sigh* I wish I could find beef bones. Seems like down here everything is boneless. Really, I kid you not, it is even getting to the point where all the steaks for grilling are boneless too.

*sigh* I wish I could find beef bones. Seems like down here everything is boneless. Really, I kid you not, it is even getting to the point where all the steaks for grilling are boneless too.

Gasp!:ohmy: Boneless Rib Steaks; isn't that against the law or something. If it isn't, it should be.

We can purchase beef bones in all of our supermarkets here. But they go for $1.50 a pound or better.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

PHO!!!!

Dave, if you want some beef marrow bones, find an Asian (Viet or Korean) grocery and ask them. Usually there are bags of them frozen somewhere.
(I just found some lovely ones today in a Korean market, and will be making some Pho soup (Soup of the Gods) this weekend.) :)

Gasp!:ohmy: Boneless Rib Steaks; isn't that against the law or something. If it isn't, it should be.

We can purchase beef bones in all of our supermarkets here. But they go for $1.50 a pound or better.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Boneless chuck roasts, boneless NY Strip, bones pork roasts ( a standing rib roast??? Never). It must be a regional thing here in Maryland...

PHO!!!!

Dave, if you want some beef marrow bones, find an Asian (Viet or Korean) grocery and ask them. Usually there are bags of them frozen somewhere.
(I just found some lovely ones today in a Korean market, and will be making some Pho soup (Soup of the Gods) this weekend.) :)

Not down here.. we have the mega-marts & Wal-Mart and the one little local store even sells primaritl boneless. It really must be regional.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom