Thought on Chicken Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
I've never made fried chicken but I do like Popeye's chicken.

So I was wondering about a spicy chicken soup. If I take a couple pieces of spicy fried chicken chop it up including breading and put it into a chicken soup pot you think the flavour will hold or dissipate?

Or do any of you have a better way to go about making this kind of soup?

I'm not sure about the breading.
Personally, I wouldn't use fried chicken in a soup. Or I would take off the breading.
What herbs and spices do you have in your house?
My jambalaya base is chicken stock/broth or buillion.
Uncooked chicken.
Garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, cajun seasoning and a bit of dried celery.

Those are pretty much the popeye's seasoning.
Then I cook until the chicken is done and add everything else I want in the jambalaya.

Interesting thought. There is a Tuscan soup called ribollita (reboiled) that is made from leftover minestrone. They add stale bread the second day, which breaks down during reheating and thickens the soup. So the breading from fried chicken would probably work the same way.

I would have extra seasonings on hand, though. I think the liquid you add to make it a soup would dilute the flavor.

I thought shredding it small it may disintegrate for flavour.

Or

Leave as large as possible so the breading can be skimmed out.Possibly just set whole pieces in and shred later.

I thought it may go soggy being thin but croutons, dumplings,... are fairly yummy

Last edited:
Spicy chicken soup

I wouldn't bother with the chicken when you are looking for the spice blend. Here's one knock off (from Food.com):

1 (6 ounce) bottle louisiana hot sauce (Louisiana brand)
SEASONING

2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dry buttermilk (SACO)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
1⁄2 teaspoon superfine sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon ground dill seed (not dill weed)
1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder

A little experimenting should get the proportions correct for your quantity of soup. IMO, I'd omit the buttermilk. Also a whole bottle of hot sauce may be a little much for my taste. The mixture is intended for frying chicken not soup.

Last edited:
We had Paul Prudhomme's Creole Chicken and Dumplings last night and as a side note, he wrote you can eat whatever sauce is leftover as a soup. You might not want a cream-based soup but here's the spice mixture he uses to season the chicken, which is fried first before finishing in the liquid, and to season the soup.

1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon File' powder

I don't use the file powder because I don't like it particularly but some do. The above (minus a tablespoon for the chicken) makes a pretty spicy broth even with 2 quarts of chicken broth and 2 cups of cream so be warned.

I think shredded chicken would be better for the kind of soup you are trying to make, include the bones too. But if it is breaded I would recommend taking breaking off.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

That's a great question that I don't have an exact answer for.
This time of year I love making soup and that leads to many different kinds.I make a great chicken: noodle, veg, rice.....
However one of my favorite indulgences is a fried chicken dinner, so I thought if I could mix the 2 I'd have the best of both worlds

I forgot to mention, fried chicken with skin on ended up with rubbery chicken skin after going into liquid. With the Prudhomme recipe we used, the skin-on chicken came out with a nice light crispy coating after frying. Unfortunately, after cooking in the liquid as per the recipe, the skin got rubbery. It had been so long since we made this recipe that I had forgotten about that. I'll have to make a note to take the skin off before breading and frying next time because the chicken meat itself did have a wonderful taste and was just as tender as could be after the initial frying and then being finished in the liquid mix.

I sent the soup to my daughter's house. My age prevents me from going around anyone with the flu.

I know she was at the end of her two weeks of being so sick. But she informed me this morning, that the next time she gets sick, she will call and ask me to make it again. And if she is too sick to call herself, she has given instructions to DH that he is to call me to make it for her. She is out of bed and feeling 100% better. So from now on with winter on the other side of the door, I had better keep some chicken in the freezer along with carrots and celery in the crispy.

We all get so scared when she gets the flu. (Yes, she gets her shot every year.) One year she got the flu and pneumonia set in. Her two lobes in her right lung were filled with fluid before they would admit she was sick and needed to be on oxygen. Mama's chicken broth got her through that while she was in the hospital. She took it in through a straw. Don't believe me? Ask her doctors. :angel:

That's a great question that I don't have an exact answer for.
This time of year I love making soup and that leads to many different kinds.I make a great chicken: noodle, veg, rice.....
However one of my favorite indulgences is a fried chicken dinner, so I thought if I could mix the 2 I'd have the best of both worlds

What about a reinvent: cream soup with 'fried chicken' dumplings.

Sorry but you've got me totally inspired. I have an idea I'll try as soon as I can get to the store. If it turns out, I'll give you the info :D

So I had this idea about making chicken cracklings and incorporating it into a homemade noodle (or German-type dumpling if I choose to add minced cooked chicken to it). The noodles (or dumplings) would be seasoned the same way you would season the flour for fried chicken. Then we scrap the idea above in which I suggested cream soup and instead go for a strong, clear consommé. Gosh I hope I can report back to you with something worth trying. This will be fun :D

Back
Top Bottom