'Tis the season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there any gumbos that aren’t roux based?

There are. Okra is often used as a thickener instead of a roux. I think the Houma tribe make this type of gumbo more often than roux based. I also believe "File Gumbo" is another rouxless version.

There are. Okra is often used as a thickener instead of a roux. I think the Houma tribe make this type of gumbo more often than roux based. I also believe "File Gumbo" is another rouxless version.
Roux made for gumbo isn’t really a thickener. The longer you cook roux the more thickening power it loses.

I’ve never seen a recipe for roux-less gumbo. Perhaps you could post one, or a link to one?

Maybe roux isn't a thickener for you, but it works fine for me and I'm well aware that the darker it is the less thickening power it has. Just Goggle "Rouxless Gumbo", like I did as I have never made one.

I did a quick search on google, and there are a few gumbo recipes without roux. But there are also recipes for chowder that contain no milk or cream. I find that odd, as well.

The vast majority of gumbo recipes start with a roux. The vast majority of chowder recipes have milk or cream in them (there are notable exceptions, like Manhattan clam chowder). The roux for a gumbo gives it its distinctive flavor.

That being said, if you ask 10 Cajun mammas for a gumbo recipe, you’ll get about thirteen recipes! So if roux-less gumbo is your thing, grand. For myself, roux-less gumbo is just soup or stew.

Call it what you like, but the folks that make it call it gumbo and since they developed it, I tend to agree with them.

I add a roux to my mushroom barley soup. I think the underlying roux flavor completed the final touch to the soup.

This week we had 3 soups
Mushroom barley, matzo ball and pea soup.
In addition I made a Chinese throw together noodle soup and a throw together tomato soup. I love soups.

I’ve made some non true gumbo before, I did it all wrong lol.
I roasted my sausage and chicken in a heavy Dutch oven then pulled them out to stand and diced onion, garlic, celery, pepper, etc into to pot and back in to roast. Then tear/chop meat and dump it back in with true ingredients.
Then instead of a roux I used herbed crushes tomatoes and broth. I don’t mind a lighter (thinner) soup but if you want it thicker without a roux keeping in mind this is a cheat, add one can of Campbell’s tomato soup (or your brand) and stir it in.
Then back in the oven to simmer/roast away that can of soup will thicken it up creamy and rich if you like that.

Again not a roux or a classic gumbo but it still (can) matches ingredients and it’s delicious so I go with it some times. It takes very little prep and supervision compared to a stovetop where if you don’t stir it it burns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom