'Tis the season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Hey guys
It's soup season again !
Share up what you've been simmering and we'll see if we can inspire each other to learn or try something new this soup season.

I got sent home from mom's house with a pile of left over mashed potatoes twice over Christmas this year so,
First time I roasted garlic, onion and a beefy soup bone until every thing melted and I chopped it with a wooden spoon. Then added mashed potatoes and can of mushroom soup and half a box of vegi broth.
Stirred up in the roasting pan and back in oven on low. A bit of pepper when serving was perfect.

Tonight I made turkey veggi noodle soup.
This was last minute whipped up. Other half box of veggies broth, Lipton chicken soup pouch and water. Onion, garlic, carrot, broccoli bubbled away on the stove homemade noodles added last couple minutes.

Sister and her family come on new years day for skating etc. So made ahead soup left in the slow cooker. Potato turkey this time. Again leftover mashed potatoes and turkey from Christmas dinner. Same as the first but chicken broth and I'll try it in the slow cooker or roasted then transfer we'll see possibly have broccoli or carrot in it to we'll see.

I think this will be the year for me to venture into veggies soups and we'll see if we can figure it out, but don't be surprised to hear they started with a beef soup bone lol.

What do you guys have?

Maybe a side track but I have a big bag of goose breast in the freezer. Do you guys ever make goose soup? It'd be a moist breast in a soup so every one may like it here lol.
I'm thinking about just a
Chicken soup with meat subbed
A beef soup for a stronger broth with meat subbed
A tomato based soup would tenderize everything and blend the taste

Any thoughts or ideas?

These are my favourites.
Corn chowder
Scottish lentil soup
Swedish peasoup
Chicken rice soup
Köttfärsoppa.

Speaking of Christmas leftovers. I made this soup last week. A little strange presentation but we all loved it.

Mini Yorkshire pudding

mini_yorkshire_pudding_122717_1_IMG_3583.JPG

Beef soup - Start with Christmas leftovers - cubed eye round roast, chopped steamed baby spinach, burgundy gravy.
Added celery, potato, carrot, onion, canned kidney beans, button mushrooms quartered, 2 oz. each - dry navy beans, green split peas, lentils and uncooked barley plus 2 (32 oz.) Collage Inn Bold beef broth. Everything added to Instant Pot to cook for 35 minutes. Everything in the soup was nice and tender in only 35 minutes even the dry unsoaked navy beans.

Placed a mini Yorkshire pudding in bowl and ladled beef soup around it.

beef_barley_soup_122717_IMG_3588.jpg

Last edited:
I watched alotnof them to lol. On a soup note does anyone add jalapeno or chilli pepper seeds to cook into the broth if you want a kick to it. Alotnof the seed get cleaned out and tossed but I thought about this. My concern is that if the seeds heat up more and more each time we reheat it sometimes a pot of soupndoes us the whole week

I have found that jalapeno some times loses its bite with reheating. Never done it with the seeds tho so don't know.

The Mrs. just came home with this I guess maybe I’ll take a hint.

Attachments

• D33E3667-3339-410F-8D0E-FA6EFAB6BD13.jpg
    D33E3667-3339-410F-8D0E-FA6EFAB6BD13.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 160
So we've finished with the tomato and a pot of potatoe soup so now we have a cauliflower that has to get used up so cauliflower soup is this afternoons agenda. Not bad for a cold snowy grey day

This is how my cauliflower soup turned out. Soup in a mug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 171
I watched alotnof them to lol. On a soup note does anyone add jalapeno or chilli pepper seeds to cook into the broth if you want a kick to it. Alotnof the seed get cleaned out and tossed but I thought about this. My concern is that if the seeds heat up more and more each time we reheat it sometimes a pot of soupndoes us the whole week

I add whole peppers to some of my soups and stews, with slits cut in them. At the end of the cook, I remove them as you would a bay leaf.

The seeds are not the main source of heat in a pepper, it is the placenta that connects the seeds to the pepper. Using the whole pepper the way I mentioned allows you to add the heat as you want it, and stop adding it when you think it is right. Plus, no seeds in your soup or stew.

CD

Neat trick maybe I’ll try that. We finished the cauliflower soup today so next is broccoli soup.

Back
Top Bottom