TNT Bread Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
This is an easy soup. I used evoo for it, but if you have duck or goose fat please by all means use it.
Melt the duck or goose fat or add 6 minced cloves of garlic to a soupd pot cook for 2-3 minl Add 1 bay leaf a handful of chopped fresh thyme. and now pour over 3 cups. chicken stock. Simmer 30 min. season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Lay2 slices of teasted day old baguette in your soup plate ladle some of the stock over the bread and top with grated Comte or gruyereand fresh chopped Italian parsley. I also top the bread slices with a rinsed off anchovy slice or two.I plan to pick up some duck fat at my grocery and make this again.

kades

Good Afternoon Kadesma,

Awesome thought ... bread soup ... There is an Italian Emilia Romagna soup called MOTHER´s BROTH made from chicken stock & Reggiano Parmesano Rind ... It is a simple Shepherd´s broth ... just like yours, the only difference is, if you like, throw in a close to being finished rind of Pecorino or Reggiano Parmesano ... It is heaven on earth, if you are a cheese-oholic !

Thanks for posting. My Grandmom Margherite used to make this broth for me.

I shall try your version too ...

Margi.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon Kadesma,

Awesome thought ... bread soup ... There is an Italian Emilia Romagna soup called MOTHER´s BROTH made from chicken stock & Reggiano Parmesano Rind ... It is a simple Shepherd´s broth ... just like yours, the only difference is, if you like, throw in a close to being finished rind of Pecorino or Reggiano Parmesano ... It is heaven on earth, if you are a cheese-oholic !

Thanks for posting. My Grandmom Margherite used to make this broth for me.

I shall try your version too ...

Margi.
Hello Margi,
I just knew you might know this secret to wonderful soups. My mother-in-law always saved her Parmesan rinds as well as the pecorino rinds or even dry Monterey Jack. So I save mine as well. My children always use to call out I'm first when they saw that we were having soup. That was there way of making sure to get some of the rind. It makes for a wonderful soup taste. Thanks for reminding me of something very special.
kades

@ Kadesma,

Thanks for your feedback. I truly enjoy the simplicity of Shepherds´ Recipes ... The secret ingredient is the rind of: Pecorino, Reggiano Parmesan, or any other cheese one has preference for --

I am in total agreement that it gives the broth such flavour as well as the aromas, are just wonderful. Another thing, I calculate less on the salt too, as cured aged cheeses are veered to be quite pungent.

I am going to prepare a batch tomorrow ... Expect some Late April Showers here !

Kindest. Until tomorrow.
Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom