TNT-Creamed Spinach Soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I developed this recipe last year.

Creamed Spinach Soup

1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery and leaves
2 T. parsley fresh
3 T. butter or bacon grease or a combination

6 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. nutmeg

4 cups milk (whole milk)
3/4 cup cheddar cheese

lotsa spinach

In a 3 quart pan, saute onion, celery and parsley in fat until tender. Stir in flour, s&p, and nutmeg. Gradually add milk while whisking mixture. Add cubed cheese and stir and cook until melted. Add spinach. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until heated through.

I can have this on the table in 1/2 hour from the start.

Can't tell you how much spinach to use, from 1 gallon bag to 3 gallons, or a 10 oz package of frozen spinach, is versatile in the amount you can use.

Last edited:
bethzaring said:
Can't tell you how much spinach to use, from 1 gallon bag to 3 gallons, or a 10 oz package of frozen spinach, is versatile in the amount you can use.

The spinach is thawed before you add it? Are the 1 and 3 gallon bags fresh?
(it doesn't take long for spinach to cook that's for sure). If I cannot find fresh spinach, I'll get 2 of the 10 oz pkgs of frozen....that way I'll have one for back up even if I only need half of it.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I really like the addition of the nutmeg.

Stir Blue, I have not tried it with frozen spinach but I can make an educated guess based on my understanding of this soup. I think (1) 10 ounce box of spinach would be fine. When adding the milk, just add 3 of the 4 cups and proceed with the recipe. After adding the cheese, add the frozen spinach, no need to thaw. Then after all has cooked, add the last cup of milk if the consistency can take it. This soup has body, with the roux and cheese, it is not a thin soup. And I will add whole milk to the recipe because that is what I use. I do not know how the soup would turn out with less than 4 % milk fat.

Thanks for the info bethzaring. You just never know what products are going to be available. With the chilly weather still lingering in the air, this will warm the bones.

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but this sounds really good and I have all the ingredients.
I have a couple of questions;
When using fresh spinach out of the bag, does it need chopped? I am not that familiar with cooking fresh spinach yet and it certainly shrinks up when fried or cooked in a pan with EVOO and other veggies. I don't think I would enjoy eating it in whole leaf form unless the leaves had shrunk (shrank?)

When a recipe calls for bacon grease, do you cook some bacon every time? I keep a jar under the sink that I pour my bacon drippings into rather than down the drain. Is that stuff safe to use. It seems it would be like shortening...... to me anyway.

Thanks and looking forward to making this today :)

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but this sounds really good and I have all the ingredients.
I have a couple of questions;
When using fresh spinach out of the bag, does it need chopped?

When a recipe calls for bacon grease, do you cook some bacon every time? I keep a jar under the sink that I pour my bacon drippings into rather than down the drain. Is that stuff safe to use. It seems it would be like shortening...... to me anyway.

Thanks and looking forward to making this today :)

Just saw these questions...

It depends on how big your spinach leaves are. I harvest them from the size of an arrowhead to a baseball mitt!:rolleyes: I tend to use the larger leaves in soups and I do tear them up with my hands when adding them to the pot.

I do both; cook bacon fresh and use reserved bacon grease. I keep my bacon grease in the frig. Pouring bacon grease down the drain:ohmy::(?

I can only dream of this soup. We are seasonal eaters and are about 4 months away from our next bowl of spinach soup.:)

Back
Top Bottom