TNT: Leek and Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
This stuff is yummy! I just finished up the last bowl from my latest batch for lunch today. I haven't tried freezing any yet (it never lasts that long) but I'm pretty sure it would taste just as great after that as well.

Leek and Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage
adapted from: Deep South Dish

2 leeks, sliced and cleaned
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 pound of smoked or mild andouille sausage, chopped
1 cup of chopped onion
1 cup of chopped celery
1 cup of chopped carrots
4 cloves of garlic, minced
8 cups of chicken stock or broth
4 red potatoes, washed, unpeeled, and diced
1 small head of green cabbage, sliced thin
Couple pinches of kosher salt
4 turns of the pepper grinder
2 bay leaves
Splash of apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of dried thyme

Slice white and light green portions of the leeks into thin-ish rings. Dump them into a bowl of cold water and swirl them around to get the grit off. Scoop them out and dry off a bit on a towel or paper towels.

In the bottom of a heavy stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Split the sausage in half lengthwise, then slice into half rounds, about 1/4 inch thick. Cook until meat is lightly browned. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until softened. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until the leeks are soft.

Add the chicken stock and turn burner up to high. Add the potatoes, cabbage, salt, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for about an 45-minutes to an hour. Add a generous splash of the vinegar and stir in the thyme; taste and adjust seasonings. Serve.

I would have thought that cabbage would overwhelm the leeks, but I'm going to try this one. It reminds me much of Portuguese bean soup we used to eat in Hawaii, and I haven't made in ages!

I don't know if the poptatoes and cabbage would freeze well. Just a thought. Otherwise, it sounds great. How much soup does this make?

Lyndalou

Hi! This is actually my original recipe from my website Deep South Dish - so thought I would chime in! This is a personal and site favorite and one of my readers actually does make and freeze this successfully. A more detailed tutorial can be found with the original recipe at my website - there is a thumbnail of the soup on the lower left hand sidebar, or through the search bar on the right hand side. Glad you enjoyed the soup!

I gave you credit! =) It says where it's from right under the title of the recipe in the post. I just upped the veggie amounts some because that's how I do it. I posted on your site how much I loved the recipe. And there are several more there I'm dying to try as well.

Thanks Zereh, I did see that. :) Glad you are enjoying the site.

Back
Top Bottom