"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
Wow, potato soup is a favorite and all of these look wonderful. Here's another option from a fellow PC consultant. It's a great speedy weeknight recipe if I get home from work late and something the girls are comfortable throwing together on their own. I use whatever is on hand ... from skim milk to half & half, ham or bacon (even the precooked variety!), and I have to say that the ranch dressing mix is what gives it the restaurant "baked potato soup" flavor. Don't skip the green onions ... it's just not the same.

I'm trying Connie's next!

Baked Potato Soup

4 baking potatoes
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
1/2 tbsp salt
tsp pepper or more to taste
6 c. milk
8 oz. sour cream
10 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 green onions, sliced
1 pkg. hidden valley ranch powder mix

Prick potatoes and bake, either in microwave or oven. Cool slightly and scoop out flesh. Break into smaller pieces. (Mix n mash works good for this). Melt butter in large kettle. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, and let it boil one minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes, most of the bacon bits and cheese. Stir in half the green onions. Cook until heated through. Stir in sour cream and serve with remaining cheese, bacon and onion.
Your soup is now on the stove waiting for the family to get here later. I tasted it and it is so good the addition of the ranch packet made a lot of difference in the taste..I guessed as to when to add it as the recipe didn't say, so I added with the flour.will make this again it's fast and easy and tastes wonderful..Thank you
kadesma

Old 01-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I added it with the flour too -- you are gonna love this soup!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie View Post
I added it with the flour too -- you are gonna love this soup!
I do, at last I'm learning to make decent soup yeah
kades
Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Cook

This is almost exactly the soup I made last night but I also added a cup of white frozen Silver Queen corn to it.This soup is da bomb!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
You know, I got that recipe from a fellow PC consultant and didn't even think about when to add the seasoning. I always add it after the roux and potatoes and find that it adds even more "body" to it. It's such a no-brainer recipe, I think I will start adding it at the beginning too, lol. Glad some of you like it. I tell you, my girls think it's a got-darn staple in the frig! :)

For anybody trying to "watch it" or just wondering if what they have on hand will work, I have used skim milk, 1%, 2%, whole, and even evaporated for some of it, and also used fat free sour cream (Breakstone's is fab!), light cheese, precooked bacon, yada yada yada ... you just can't mess it up. Leftover honeybaked ham was really good in it too. Now how do we get the starch out of the potatoes? LOL
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #26
Everymom

AMSeccia, when you use the light stuff doesn't it "break"? I've had issues trying to lighten up recipes before.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
AMSeccia, when you use the light stuff doesn't it "break"? I've had issues trying to lighten up recipes before.
Nope, never a break. But I make sure the roux is well incorporated into the milk (or vice versa I guess) before I add the potatoes and cheese and never quite bring it to a full simmer. Heck, sometimes I get sidetracked and even forget the sour cream and just add when we serve it to save some calories. I suspect the smashed up baked potatoes helps alleviate some of the "breaking" you might see in other recipes too.

It's so easy, and uber-satisfying, you gotta give it a try!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #28
Everymom

Gotcha. I'll make sure to remember that. THANKS!

Tags
None