TNT potato soup recipe please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
DH brought me some cream of potatoe soup and it was wonderful nice size pieces of potatoe tiny little specks of carrot some celery and onion.. It was rich and creamy and oh so good..Does anyone have something similar they would like to share with me? I could go to the restaurant, but would love to try making some myself.
kadesma

I quit trying to make potato soup. Panera Bread has the best hands down. When I want it I just go there and get it. I have made it and taste good but just not as good as theirs.

Here's my recipe, adapted from my mom's. I like Yukon Gold potatoes, but any kind is just fine.

CONNIE'S POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:
6 thick slices of bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 leeks, white part only, sliced thin
1 medium carrot, grated
½ cup chopped celery
6 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups skim milk (or whatever kind you have on hand)
2 cups water
6-8 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped in bite-size pieces
2 tbl salt
white pepper to taste
2 tbl chopped Italian parsley
4 oz cream cheese, cubed (opt)

Directions:
Sweat chopped bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat. When it's beginning to crisp, add vegetables and cook a few minutes, until tender. Add flour and turn heat up to med/high. Cook and stir a few minutes until flour browns a bit, then deglaze with the chicken broth. When soup begins to thicken, add milk, water, potatoes, Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Cook till potatoes are tender, reseason, then add cream cheese and stir till melted.

I make this potato chowder......

POTATO AND CORN CHOWDER

2 c. diced potatoes
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped green onion (optional)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. water
2 c. corn
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. evaporated milk or cream
1 c. diced pasteurized cheese

Simmer potatoes, carrots, celery, green onion, salt, pepper and water, covered, 15 minutes. Add corn and simmer another 5 minutes. Add milk, cream and cheese; stir until cheese melts and soup is heated. Do not boil.

Here's my recipe, adapted from my mom's. I like Yukon Gold potatoes, but any kind is just fine.

CONNIE'S POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
½ cup chopped celery
6 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tbl salt
white pepper to taste

Directions:
Sweat chopped bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat. When it's beginning to crisp, add vegetables and cook a few minutes, until tender. Add flour and turn heat up to med/high. Cook and stir a few minutes until flour browns a bit, then deglaze with the chicken broth. When soup begins to thicken, add milk, water, potatoes, Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Cook till potatoes are tender, reseason, then add cream cheese and stir till melted.
Thank you Connie, this looks lucious and will be made soon.
kades

When I first had this soup bennigan's ultimate baked potato soup recipe | restaurant recipes | clone restuarant recipes | copycat restaurant recipes, I thought I'd never tasted anything better in my life. 'Course, if you put those garnishes on pretty much ANYTHING, I'm going to love it! ;)

Anyway, it tastes exactly as good when I make it at home as it did in Bennigan's!

Does this mean you are feeling better, kadesma?

Lee
Lee,
I've copied this recipe as well so far I have several wonderful looking recipes to try..Thank you and yes I think I'm going to make it now..We had a few of those moments here but I feel so much better the past 3 days. Thanks for asking:)
kades

I make this potato chowder......

POTATO AND CORN CHOWDER

2 c. diced potatoes
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped green onion (optional)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. water
2 c. corn
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. evaporated milk or cream
1 c. diced pasteurized cheese

Simmer potatoes, carrots, celery, green onion, salt, pepper and water, covered, 15 minutes. Add corn and simmer another 5 minutes. Add milk, cream and cheese; stir until cheese melts and soup is heated. Do not boil.
Thanks luvs2cook,
looks like a keeper...
kadesma

Want one more?
Probably not.... but I just sat down with the last of my leftover potato soup and saw this!
:cool:
Suzi's Potato Soup

1 pound bacon, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
10-12 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
  2. In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to cover the potatoes, plus an inch or 2. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
  3. Stir in half and half and tarragon. With a stick or immersion blender, puree soup to desired "chunkiness". (I dont like much chunk)
Note... this recipe originally included a roux of 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup flour... then adding a cup of heavy cream to that rather than half and half, then stirring that mixture into the stock.... and only blending half the soup in a blender. It was too thick and chunky for me that way so I skip that step.... as much as I blend it, the potato starch thickens it up plenty without the added flour and butter.
Hope I just made sense!

Enjoy!

Want one more?
Probably not.... but I just sat down with the last of my leftover potato soup and saw this!
:cool:
Suzi's Potato Soup

1 pound bacon, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
10-12 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
  2. In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to cover the potatoes, plus an inch or 2. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
  3. Stir in half and half and tarragon. With a stick or immersion blender, puree soup to desired "chunkiness". (I dont like much chunk)
Note... this recipe originally included a roux of 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup flour... then adding a cup of heavy cream to that rather than half and half, then stirring that mixture into the stock.... and only blending half the soup in a blender. It was too thick and chunky for me that way so I skip that step.... as much as I blend it, the potato starch thickens it up plenty without the added flour and butter.
Hope I just made sense!

Enjoy!
Thanks Sizi,
I got ya on the flour and butter business...I like a thick soup but not one that you eat with a fork:LOL:
Thanks will give it a try
kades

Well everyone, we now have a fantastic pot of potatoe soup..What I did was combine ideas from all of you including Dave or Gramps as I call him and this is better than the restaurant one I had the other night...A big thank you to all of you, you rock. I used Onions, potatoes, celery small pieces of carrot, bacon crisped,butter,cream,chicken stock..it is great.
kades

CONNIE'S POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
½ cup chopped celery
6 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tbl salt
white pepper to taste

Directions:

I made this for dinner tonight - OMG! It was fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Wow, potato soup is a favorite and all of these look wonderful. Here's another option from a fellow PC consultant. It's a great speedy weeknight recipe if I get home from work late and something the girls are comfortable throwing together on their own. I use whatever is on hand ... from skim milk to half & half, ham or bacon (even the precooked variety!), and I have to say that the ranch dressing mix is what gives it the restaurant "baked potato soup" flavor. Don't skip the green onions ... it's just not the same.

I'm trying Connie's next!

Baked Potato Soup

4 baking potatoes
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
1/2 tbsp salt
¼ tsp pepper or more to taste
6 c. milk
8 oz. sour cream
10 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 green onions, sliced
1 pkg. hidden valley ranch powder mix

Prick potatoes and bake, either in microwave or oven. Cool slightly and scoop out flesh. Break into smaller pieces. (Mix n mash works good for this). Melt butter in large kettle. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, and let it boil one minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes, most of the bacon bits and cheese. Stir in half the green onions. Cook until heated through. Stir in sour cream and serve with remaining cheese, bacon and onion.

These all sounds great. My dw makes a great short-cut version that is great and easy.

2 bags frozen southern style hash browns
4 cups water
1 stick butter
16 oz. sour cream
2 can cream of chicken soup
1 Lg. onion chopped
Combine all ingredients and cook in a crock pot on low for 8 hrs. or high for 4 hrs, just watch it if you do it on high b/c it may start to get scorched.

Wow, potato soup is a favorite and all of these look wonderful. Here's another option from a fellow PC consultant. It's a great speedy weeknight recipe if I get home from work late and something the girls are comfortable throwing together on their own. I use whatever is on hand ... from skim milk to half & half, ham or bacon (even the precooked variety!), and I have to say that the ranch dressing mix is what gives it the restaurant "baked potato soup" flavor. Don't skip the green onions ... it's just not the same.

I'm trying Connie's next!

Baked Potato Soup

4 baking potatoes
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. flour
1/2 tbsp salt
¼ tsp pepper or more to taste
6 c. milk
8 oz. sour cream
10 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 green onions, sliced
1 pkg. hidden valley ranch powder mix

Prick potatoes and bake, either in microwave or oven. Cool slightly and scoop out flesh. Break into smaller pieces. (Mix n mash works good for this). Melt butter in large kettle. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, and let it boil one minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes, most of the bacon bits and cheese. Stir in half the green onions. Cook until heated through. Stir in sour cream and serve with remaining cheese, bacon and onion.

I made this last night and if you like a thick very tasty soup this is the one for you! Every mouthful tasted like a loaded baked potato! I did not even need to add more cheese and bacon to the top like I usually do! It is fantastic! I used skim milk, low fat sour cream, and low fat cheddar (not fat free, the 2% kind) - WOW!!! This is definately a keeper! Thanks for the recipe!

Mine is very similar but I eyeball everything. It's got bacon, onions and 2lbs of boiled and cubed potatoes, cayenne pepper to taste, salt, pepper, milk and rue to thicken

Back
Top Bottom