TNT soup recipe needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken's wife

Assistant Cook
Hi All, I am looking for a soup recipe that makes a lot and reheats well. I'm having surgery on Wed. and will be home alone most of the days to follow while my husband is at work. I need something I could possibly prepare Tues. night and eat on for a few days. I love chowders, anything basically except those containing green peppers:-p! Thanks to anyone who responds...my tummy will greatly appreciate it I am sure!!

Ken's Wife....

Might I suggest a simple beef/vegetable soup...about 2 gals. worth...It re-heats well and seems to get better each time! ;) Or maybe a nice "Frogmore stew"...

Oh ok! I was sitting there trying to figure out what it stood for... :LOL:
-----
Well this recipe is based on The Culinary Institute of America's with a couple tweeks by me. It has little tiny cubes of soft bell pepper in it, but you could omit them if you like. Everyone loves this recipe that I make it for. You could easily use fish stock for the chicken stock and pieces of haddock/cod for a fish chowder as well.

Corn Chowder

1-T Butter
2-oz Minced Salt Pork or Bacon
3-oz Minced Yellow Onion
3-oz Minced Celery
2-oz Finely Diced Red Bell Pepper
2-oz Finely Diced Green Bell Pepper
2-oz Flour
1-qt Chicken Stock
1-lb Fresh Corn Kernels w/Milk from cobs
1-lb 1/2" Cubed Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 Bay Leaf
1/2-C Milk
1/2-C Heavy Cream
Kosher Salt - To Taste
Freshly Ground White Pepper - To Taste

Yields ~ 1.5-qts

Melt the butter and render the salt pork/bacon. Add the onion, celery, and peppers and sweat until they are translucent. Add the flour and stir to make a blonde roux.

Slowly incorporate the stock, and simmer for 30min.

Puree half the corn kernals and add to the soup with the remaining kernals, cubed potatoes, and bay leaf. Simmer until the the potatoes are very tender, then add the milk and cream and season with kosher salt and finely ground white pepper.

* Be careful when reheating it though - you don't want to boil it.

Hope your surgery goes well!

EDIT: By the way, I usually serve this with big common crackers. You could use those oyster crackers too, or even saltines in a pinch. It also goes well with a hunk of good artisan french bread. I like to serve a light side salad of mixed baby greens and some white wine. I usually drink sweeter whites like Rieslings or Gewürztraminers, but chowder is one of the very-rare occassions that I reach for a wine that has a bit less sugar. You could even make a good beer work with a chowder... I know plenty of people up here in chowda' land that drink Miller with their "Bowl of White"... (haha).

Last edited:
Ken's wife,
You said you like chowders, I don't call this a chowder, but it is tasty..It's a potato soup and includes leeks and mushrooms, cream, chicken stock and I blend it..I don't want to give you anything that might upset your tummy so let me know..This soup if you choose can also be left chunky instead of blended, might not look to good but the taste is nice. I have a ham and cheese chowder,minestrone, french onion..

kadesma:)

I made the following Thursday night for dinner, & the leftovers were just as delicious today for lunch!!!

I roughly chopped 4 cloves of garlic, one small onion, one small red bell pepper, & one celery stalk & sauteed them just until soft in some extra-virgin olive oil. I then added 2 cartons of Swanson's chicken broth & brought it to a boil. Then added one unpeeled diced russet potato & continued simmering until potatoe was just tender. Next additions were all Hanover-brand (my favorite!) frozen veggies: about 1/2 a bag of petite peas, 1/2 a bag of baby lima beans, half a bag of whole slim Haricot-Vert-type green & wax beans & thin baby finger-length carrots. Final additions were a small can of corn, drained; half a bag of fresh baby spinach leaves; & 2 small zucchini squash, cut into small chunks. Seasoned with a little salt, black pepper, & about a tablespoon of dry sherry, & added freshly grated parmesan at serving time.

Ken's wife, here's a good, hearty soup to try. For one of the reheats, you can thicken it up a bit, put it in a casserole, add some canned biscuits on top and bake it as a pot pie. Another way to serve it is to spoon it over noodles.

BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP
(Serves 10 to 12)

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lbs. beef cubes
1 to 2 lbs. meaty soup bone
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
3 large carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 quarts water
4 beef bouillon cubes
1/3 cup medium pearl barley

In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Coat beef cubes and soup bones in flour and add to hot oil and brown on all sides. Add onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water, and bouillon; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add barley; simmer 50 to 60 minutes longer or until beef and barley are tender.

You guys are the greatest! I just joined the group and this was my first post request. I will definitely put some of your good recipes to good use. I'll be home for about 2 weeks following the surgery, so hopefully you'll see me online! It always makes me feel better and heal quicker if I stay in touch with friends!---Blessings

I tried to send you a PM (private message) but for some reason you are set up not to receive one...?
I wish you the best and a speedy recovery. I do hope this is not something to do with your Lungs.
Keep us posted and if you will right click on my Avater please send me a message.

Back
Top Bottom