TNT Summer Tomato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Since I was making foccacia, I decided I wanted soup instead of a sandwich..We have tomatoes all over the place soooo
I peeled and seeded 12 large tomatoes,chopped 3 med sweet onions,chopped a celery heart added salt and pepper, shredded 12 basil leaves you can add more if you want, and sauteed it all in about 8 Tab of butter, til the mix was tender..Put it in the blender and whizzed, chill, Now I am going to add a pint of sour cream, when I serve it it will get a tab. of more sour cream and topping of more shredded basil.
enjoy
kadesma

Since I was making foccacia, I decided I wanted soup instead of a sandwich..We have tomatoes all over the place soooo
I peeled and seeded 12 large tomatoes,chopped 3 med sweet onions,chopped a celery heart added salt and pepper, shredded 12 basil leaves you can add more if you want, and sauteed it all in about 8 Tab of butter, til the mix was tender..Put it in the blender and whizzed, chill, Now I am going to add a pint of sour cream, when I serve it it will get a tab. of more sour cream and topping of more shredded basil.
enjoy
kadesma

Kadesma,

Wish you had posted this last week when I made Tomato Soup.I looked all over DC for a recipe to make the soup from scratch.No store bought canned stuff,to be added later.I wanted from scratch,stuck with it.
Sour Cream...wow that never even crossed my mind to add.Excellent touch :)

Would you mind tweaking my recipe,please?
I went all through my cookbooks,even The Professional Chef.Got the basic idea.Nobody mentioned to cook the tomatoes down about a 1/2 to 1/4 before adding any additions.I made it up as I went.

30+Tomatoes,I had 37 in total
1 green Bell Pepper minced
2 Sweet Yellow Onions minced
1/2 cup of fresh Basil chopped
1/4 cup Celery Salt
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon of fresh Black Pepper
4 Tablespoons of Butter
1/4 cup of flour
2 Tablespoons of sugar
Tomato Paste
1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
Baking Soda,just a pinch
3 Teaspoons of Chili Flakes
1/2 Gallon of Milk (about)

Washed the Tomatoes and basil,removed the stems and leaves.
Quartered 30 Tomatoes,reserved 7 for the paste.
With the 30 I ran them through a food mill.Added them to a huge sauce pot.
Ran the 7 through,and added them to a small sauce pot.(Paste)

The paste was made first,cooked them down,until they started to thicken.Added the oil,set aside.

In the larger pot I cooked the tomatoes,onions,bell peppers,celery salt,salt,pepper, for hours,stirred often.When they cooked down to about half,I lowered the temp to just simmering.Added the paste.

In the same paste pot I melted the butter,added the flour until it was smooth.Added it to the tomatoes.Kept stirring, (my arms tired by now)

Let it all simmer,then added the basil,sugar,and the baking soda, milk,chili flakes,and let it cook a while longer.

The baking soda was added last after the soup had a taste test.It was bitter.The soda made it foam up a little.But it took the bitterness out.It didn't stay foamy.

It was good,creamy,not too thick or thin.But it's missing something,just don't know what it is.Maybe you or someone else here can offer a suggestion of what I could have added or omitted,amounts and such..Kids thought it should have been sweeter.But they're used to that canned stuff.I thought it was sweet enough.Were all in agreement it's missing something.

Thank you

Munky.

Awww baby, that makes my mouth water! there's nothing like the combo of a bread product and tomato soup! I'm not a prolific tomato soup maker, so campbells is my friend. But I do make a mean foccacia, and I love the idea of combining the seasoned oiled bread with a good bowl of tomato soup.

Kudos for an awesome combination!

Kadesma,

Wish you had posted this last week when I made Tomato Soup.I looked all over DC for a recipe to make the soup from scratch.No store bought canned stuff,to be added later.I wanted from scratch,stuck with it.

I went all through my cookbooks,even The Professional Chef.Got the basic idea.Nobody mentioned to cook the tomatoes down about a 1/2 to 1/4 before adding any additions.I made it up as I went.

1/4 cup Celery Salt
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
4 Tablespoons of Butter
1/4 cup of flour
2 Tablespoons of sugar
Tomato Paste
Baking Soda,just a pinch

The paste was made first,cooked them down,until they started to thicken.Added the oil,set aside.

In the larger pot I cooked the tomatoes,onions,bell peppers,celery salt,salt,pepper, for hours,stirred often.When they cooked down to about half,I lowered the temp to just simmering.Added the paste.

In the same paste pot I melted the butter,added the flour until it was smooth.Added it to the tomatoes.Kept stirring, (my arms tired by now)

Let it all simmer,then added the basil,sugar,and the baking soda, milk,chili flakes,and let it cook a while longer.

The baking soda was added last after the soup had a taste test.It was bitter.The soda made it foam up a little.But it took the bitterness out.It didn't stay foamy.

It was good,creamy,not too thick or thin.But it's missing something,just don't know what it is.Maybe you or someone else here can offer a suggestion of what I could have added or omitted,amounts and such..Kids thought it should have been sweeter.But they're used to that canned stuff.I thought it was sweet enough.Were all in agreement it's missing something.

Thank you

Munky.
I was just eaving to do the weekly grocery shopping. I'll take a look when I get home and see whar we can do. I want to know what are you looking for, more heat, a certain taste, less tartness? think about it and we can go from there.
kades

The heat was there.It wasn't tart at all.
But I did forget to mention that I had oven roasted the tomatoes for about 2 hrs,with olive oil,kosher salt and pepper.Then ran them through the food mill.Sorry about that.I'm so forgetful lately.

I was looking for a little more of an Italian taste.

Thank you

Munky.

CJ, that sounds delicious. I've never understood buying canned tomato soup when fresh is so easy. I do use canned tomatoes in the winter if good fresh ones aren't available.

Kadesma,

1/4 cup Celery Salt
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
4 Tablespoons of Butter
1/4 cup of flour
2 Tablespoons of sugar
Tomato Paste
Baking Soda,just a pinch

Thank you
Roasted tomatoes are wonderful I'd leave that, but omit tomato paste I do mine by putting in cloves of garlic, I just leave the skins on and when done I push the clove out of the skin ,so put them together on the baking sheet, I drizzle with evoo,salt and pepper.roast, then lightly squish, don't puree if you want some texture to your soup. I would roast red peppers if you feel you need the peppers, the green I'd leave out they to me are heavy tasting and you want more tomato and basil taste, I' dice some celery and either saute it or roast it with the rest of the veggies, if you do roast it I'd leave it whole and dice later.So leave out the celery salt and add some celery seed if you like more Toward the end I'd add fresh basil shredded and a pinch or two of a good oregano or some marjoram, I'd for get the flour,baking soda, I'd taste for seasonings add some sugar or a touch of honey if necessary. I see you added milk to it, let it cook down some,it will thicken on its own as it reduces, flour to me gives it a funny taste, add you milk or some nice heavy cream, not tons of it just enough to lighten it, add a pat of butter and just like a sauce let it simmer a few minutes and taste it I'd bet it will be just right. Remember fresh herbs but dry oregano or marjoram..lets see if this does the trick.
Kadesma:)

Last edited:
Kadesma,

Thank you very much for taking the time to perfect this for me.I do appreciate it.

You just saved me a lot of time and needless effort.But still kept it in the firm direction I wanted it to be in.

Kind of funny I watered part of the answer this morning (Oregano,Basil),Marjoram crossed my mind as I was typing the original post.

I'll definitely go with all your suggestions for it next time.
Monday or Tuesday I should have enough ready for the next batch.

Keep ya posted :)

Thank you again

Munky.

Glad I could help a little. I hope this gives you what you're looking for.
kades:)

I'm only a week late with this..Busy week.My apologies..

It's started now,have everything roasting together in the oven.I wasn't hungry until I came in from the garden.Wow!!!! It smells so nice.

I'll make a loaf of sourdough bread to go with it.
Let you know how it turns out..So far so good. :)

Munky.

I'm only a week late with this..Busy week.My apologies..

It's started now,have everything roasting together in the oven.I wasn't hungry until I came in from the garden.Wow!!!! It smells so nice.

I'll make a loaf of sourdough bread to go with it.
Let you know how it turns out..So far so good. :)

Munky.

I think I can smell it all the way over here!

Thanks you two for posting BOTH recipes!

Easy Fat less and great tomato soup

take 10 tomatoes, cut in half, put them on a sheet pan, add some sliced garlic, pepper and salt
roast then in the oven till they nice and brown.
put them then in a stock pot and simmer them with some tomato juice/or water/or vegetable stock for about 30 minutes

blend this in the blender and strain trough a strainer, push all the pulp trough the strainer with a large spoon.

put back on the fire and reduce till nice consistency, (you could add a little sugar) add fresh basil/oregano or any other herb you like...

enjoy

Did you know that for those who are lactose intolerant (my grandson), you can still have creamy tomato soup by adding cubed white bread (without the crust) as you blend it in a blender or food processor?

Finally,it's finished..Well worth the wait.Everyone loved it!!! :chef:

Thank you Kadesma for all your help...The only thing I added to your recipe was a few bay leaves.

Here it is...

img_846892_0_6d02cedd0c74593c86971cdb8764b583.jpg

img_846892_1_9866a8e3cbf70256f1d2f3a5d1c6bd5a.jpg

Munky.

to Selkie..

U can use lactose free milk or soy milk as well,
regarding the bread..some breads are made with milk or milk powder, some not.
So you need to find out the ingredients of the bread first.
(has nothing to do with the crust..as far as i know)

Munky,
I'm so glad you liked the soup. Your bread and the pictures were beautiful. It's such a please, to ave feed back on a recipe. You are a pleasure to share a recipe with. Thank you for your thoughtfulnes.
kades:)

Thanks Kades! Sounds delicious! I can't see myself having another canned tomato soup...yuck! I only tried the canned once and never again. I will make your recipe this week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom