TNT Zucchini and Basil Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmac

Head Chef
I realise that since most of you are sweltering its not really the right time to post this but apparantly it can be served cold as well.

1kg zucchini sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 brown onion
500ml chicken stock
1/2 bunch fresh basil
1/2 cup cream
125g parmesan cheese

Saute onion and garlic until soft (i used a little olive oil) then add zucchini and stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until zucchini is soft. Remove from heat, add basil, cream and parmesan. Blend then return to heat for a few minutes.
Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan on top.

OK, filing this one away for future reference. The zucchini season isn't QUITE upon us yet. Give it another couple of weeks and people will be leaving them on our doorstep though.

Hey Mrsmac - that's a terrific recipe - thanks!!! And I think it's a swell summer soup, because it really is quite light. Not to mention another great way to use zucchini. Thanks!!!!!

Every year I grow zucchini in my garden and make lots of zucchini soup -- it freezes very well!! Your recipe, Mrsmac, is great (I don't use milk or cream, so I just use a little more chicken broth in place of it). I love the soup cold on a hot summer day with a sprinkle of Parmesan (as you suggest) or with some spicy croutons floating on top. When the weather is cold and rainy, I heat the soup and serve it with crusty Italian bread. I also make zucchini fritatta and zucchini bread -- both freeze well, also.

Back
Top Bottom