Tomato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kezlehan

Senior Cook
Here's my recipe for a tomato soup. I absolutely love this and love to have a supply of it in my freezer.

Ingredients
1.25kg tomatoes
1 onion
1 carrot
1 celery stick
2 tsp tomato puree
Pinch of sugar
2 bay leaves
1.2 litres veg stock

Method
Cut each tomato into quarters and slice off any hard cores.
Peel the onion and carrot and chop into small pieces.
Chop the celery roughly the same size.
Tip vegetables into a pan and cook on low until soft. About 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomato puree and mix to make the vegetables red.
Add the tomatoes, pinch of sugar, black pepper, and tear bay leaves and add.
Mix everything together, put a lid on, then stew over low for 10 minutes, mixing occassionally.
Slowly pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then put the lid on and cook gently for 25 minutes.
Remove bay leaf.
Blend with a hand blender and enjoy!

Serves 3/4, and works out at about 111 calories if cooked for 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered trying roasting the tomatoes in the oven or some of them? It looks really good, but being not a fan of tomato soup, the only recipe I've liked has been with roasted tomatoes and fresh basil...but your recipe looks good. I've C&P'd it to try next summer with the heritage yellow tomatoes we grow and, I'd probably serve it as a chilled soup...have you done that?

I actually saw a post on here yesterday which involved roasting some of them and I think I will try that out today when I make it.
Thanks I hope you enjoy it. And I haven't actually had it chilled! I will definitely have to try it!

You may want to roast 1/2 of the tomatoes--the tomato flavor is intense. You may be able to omit the puree because of how thick the roasted tomato sauce ends up. Or, you can roast all of them--be adventuresome! You already like the soup, I can't imagine you won't still like it. Once I started roasting tomatoes for sauce, I stopped making it any other way. I love the flavor the roasted tomatoes bring to the sauce. Roasted garlic and onion done at the same time also add another layer of flavor.

Do you use fresh bay leaves or dry? If dry, I would suggest removing the bay leaves before putting in the blender.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice! I am looking forward to trying it out tonight now :)

As for the bay leaves, it really depends on what we have in the house. Sometimes we only have dry so those go in, although I do prefer to use fresh. And I do remove them, forgot to add that to the recipe. Oops!

Back
Top Bottom